How to make Windows 7 user's folder private

• alisampras
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alisampras

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

During my time using WinXP, i usually go to C:\Documents and Settings\ and right-click on user (bruce) folder and make it as Private. By making the folder private, all other PC users including Administrator won't be able to access to my folder(bruce).

How can i do the same on my Windows 7 user's (bruce) folder? The reason i want this is because i don't want any other users or users with Administrator right to access my account (bruce) folders and files.

Hope someone can help me to private my user's account (bruce) folder.

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have both Win7 and WinXP at work and so far I have not been able to find anything that marks a folder as "private" on either operating system. So not really sure what you are talking about.
  • alisampras
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alisampras

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Grinch,

Thanks for your reply.

What I want was actually to secure my account folder, so that other users login to my PC won't be able to access my folder including Administrator users.

Say, in my PC i have create new user called Bruce and a new folder (Bruce) will automatically created in C:\Documents and Settings\. Then i login to my PC as user Bruce and created & save some documents & photos. The next day my colleague login to my PC using his username as John and he has Administrator right and he can browse to my account folder and check my documents.

So, i don't want any user to access my account (Bruce)folder whether he is normal or administrator users.

I am sure there is a way to restrict it, please help.

Thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You would have to use NTFS permissions at that point then.

Generally, normal users cannot access your user folder within Documents and Settings. But if they are part of the local administrators account they will be able to.

In Windows 7 navigate to C:\Users\ and right click your username, Bruce I assume. Click the Security tab. Remove the Administrators account by clicking Edit and then highlighting Administrators and click the Remove button.
  • alisampras
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alisampras

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Grinch,

Again thank you for your reply.

I learned new thing by using NTFS permission, thanks to you.
FYI, i did follow your steps and did removed Administrator.

After i logout of my account, my colleague John login and he did the following:

1) Navigate to C:\Users\ and right click your username (Bruce).
2) Click the Security tab. Add the John account by clicking Edit and type john and click the OK button.

To my surprise, he managed to check through my account (Bruce) folders and can view, edit and delete files.

How can i permanently denied access John user or other users to access my C:\Users\Bruce folder?

Hope you have more tricks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Follow the same steps and add his user account but set the permissions to disabled.

The thing is, if John is an administrator there isn't much you can do to keep him out. As an administrator he can just undo anything you do. Remove him from the administrator group and that will solve your problem.
  • sheva249
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sheva249

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a new feature available in the win7. that is encryption. you may encrypt your personal files like as third party software. you may find this by right click on that folder.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts