how to protect drives from users on pc help!

• faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello all,
k my account is the admin , and i have more accounts for other people using this pc, and they are not admin just limited users.
but i want them not be able to access some drives and files.
like lock those specific drives and folders so they wont be able to see,edit,modify,delete, and access..
how would i do that in winxp pro 2002 sp2 ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First your drives need to be NTFS and not Fat32. If they are NTFS when you right click a drive letter or folder or file and select properties, you will have a security tab.

By default "everyone" is allowed access. You will need to remove "everyone" but before you do, you will need to add your administrator account and give it full access.

Then add the users that you want and for each user either give them the appropriate "allow" permissions if you want them to have access. If you do not want them to have access, give them "deny" to everything.

Note: be sure you have given yourself full permission and do not "deny" everyone. Deny overrides allow, so if you keep everyone and choose deny, even though you may have set yourself to allow you will find yourself unable to access the drive.
  • faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4

Post 3+ Months Ago

k this is weird, iam on the admin account,
and the drive i wanted to be private is NTFS file system, but i cant clock the "make it private" tab.
the checkbox is just unable to check it....
so wat to do ?
more help please
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. I see what you are saying, but I was expecting there to be a security tab there as well (not just sharing) and I'm not sure what SP2 did to change things. Let me do a little checking. What you need to be changing is permissions which used to be under the security tab. Not sure at the moment what happened to it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- MS hid the security tab in XP with NTFS by enabling simple file sharing as the default. (sorry - didn't realize that) Follow these instructions to get your security tab back, then follow my original instructions to set permissions:

Security tab missing in XP If your hard drive is formatted NTFS, you can set permissions on files if you right-click file and choose properties. If your XP workstation is standalone or part of a workgroup, the security tab will be hidden. To have it show,

* Open Windows Explorer
* Choose Folder Options from the Tools menu
* On the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings
* Clear the check box next to "Use Simple File Sharing."
* Click OK to apply the change
  • faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhhh , dam os changed it to simple file sharing....
thx man,
ur a pro..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts