How do i reinstall Win2k server without erasing hd

• hellobuster
  • hellobuster
  • Loc: TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please Help,

I started a new job and one of the servers (no active directory) was in dire need of critical updates. Well somewhere during the Win2k SP4 the pc stop responding; no mouse, keyboard, Cntl alt delete..nothing. So I got the bright idea of a hard boot. Now the system comes up to and finishes the "Windows starting up" gui but then restarts itself. If I hadn't turned it off, it would still be restarting.

As I said before, I just started this job but I did manage to find the software that came with it. I don't see an ERD. What can I do?

Forever Grateful,
Hellobuster :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried hitting F8 during boot and restoring to "last known good configuration"?
  • hellobuster
  • hellobuster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for responding. Yes, I tried LKGC and also safe mode; they both have the same response with reboot after the Windows 2000 page.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you can get to the desktop either safe mode then telling it to use the cdrom drivers that way you will have a cdrom. then you install using the upgrade method. I would copy the hard drive to a different drive to go back later just incase everything goes rong.
  • hellobuster
  • hellobuster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't get to the desktop; it is in a loop (it just keeps rebooting). I can get to the RC with a bootable cd and have rebuilt the Boot and the MBR, chkdsk, etc... and still same problem. Hardware is definately ruled out.

I guess there is no way to do this without destroying data. Crap. Why can't it be more simple for people like me. Oh, btw, there is no tape backup.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stick the harddrive in another computer as a slave and copy it to a hard drever for temp that wayu you can either go back and get the data off of it.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could be a memory fault. i experienced it with my friends pc which restarts by itself. my first guess then was bad ram. I had it changed and everything works from then.

or, u can go with secureITgroup idea of slave drive.-a good idea.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

but the system was working until the critical updates were applied. Is that right hellobuster?
  • hellobuster
  • hellobuster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct, there was no system problem prior to the critical updating. I like the slave idea too- thanks a lot for that!!!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

didnt read earlier messages

:wink:
gd luck man!
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know if the problems resolved but this happened to me while running windows xp pro sp1. I was installing a transformation program and it came up with windows file protection error messeges then the computer basically when into automatic. the thing went to domain logon style instead of the xp way then just shut down after it restart. I booted into knoppix and got some stuff off the internet. then i tried it and it didnt work. so i loaded xp on a second hard drive copied file. formatted my main drive, installed xp on the main drive copied files from the old one and i was up and running.

i dont know if this help but it hope it does somehow

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts