How do I set my PC up as an FTP server?

  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Posts: 136
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Ive got Windows Xp Professional. I want to share some of my folders with my friends who live elsewhere. How can I set my PC up as an FTP server so they can download files on my PC?

Thanks.
  • Animefoo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Animefoo
  • Posts: 2
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

In windows XP pro, you can use IIS to run an FTP server. Install it from the add/remove programs box under add/remove windows components. Look for Internet Information Services(IIS) and check it if it's not checked. Hit Details and make sure common files, file transfer protocol and IIS snap-in are checked. You don't need anything else so just uncheck it. It might ask for your XP CD so make sure you have it. After it restarts the FTP server will be running. Just put the files you want to share in C:\inetpub\ftproot.

Warning: This will leave a wide open ftp server on your computer. So if you want to add restrictions just go to Administrative Tools in your Control Panel then go to Internet Information Services, Expand Local Computer, then FTP Sites, and then "default FTP site". Right click on it and go to properties. This is where you can specify everything from user accounts to connection settings to even specifying what directory you want to share.

Hope this helps, something else you can try is downloading a 3rd party FTP server, but this should work fine for your needs.

Good Luck
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2350
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer G6 FTP server. Very easy to use, very customizable.

http://www.g6ftpserver.com/?page=information
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1038
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Animefoo wrote:
In windows XP pro, you can use IIS to run an FTP server. Install it from the add/remove programs box under add/remove windows components. Look for Internet Information Services(IIS) and check it if it's not checked. Hit Details and make sure common files, file transfer protocol and IIS snap-in are checked. You don't need anything else so just uncheck it. It might ask for your XP CD so make sure you have it. After it restarts the FTP server will be running. Just put the files you want to share in C:\inetpub\ftproot.

Warning: This will leave a wide open ftp server on your computer. So if you want to add restrictions just go to Administrative Tools in your Control Panel then go to Internet Information Services, Expand Local Computer, then FTP Sites, and then "default FTP site". Right click on it and go to properties. This is where you can specify everything from user accounts to connection settings to even specifying what directory you want to share.

Hope this helps, something else you can try is downloading a 3rd party FTP server, but this should work fine for your needs.

Good Luck


Dont use any microsoft software for hosting sites.. thats a big no! too many holes/worms on the net with IIS.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Posts: 136
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
Animefoo wrote:
In windows XP pro, you can use IIS to run an FTP server. Install it from the add/remove programs box under add/remove windows components. Look for Internet Information Services(IIS) and check it if it's not checked. Hit Details and make sure common files, file transfer protocol and IIS snap-in are checked. You don't need anything else so just uncheck it. It might ask for your XP CD so make sure you have it. After it restarts the FTP server will be running. Just put the files you want to share in C:\inetpub\ftproot.

Warning: This will leave a wide open ftp server on your computer. So if you want to add restrictions just go to Administrative Tools in your Control Panel then go to Internet Information Services, Expand Local Computer, then FTP Sites, and then "default FTP site". Right click on it and go to properties. This is where you can specify everything from user accounts to connection settings to even specifying what directory you want to share.

Hope this helps, something else you can try is downloading a 3rd party FTP server, but this should work fine for your needs.

Good Luck


Dont use any microsoft software for hosting sites.. thats a big no! too many holes/worms on the net with IIS.


So which ftp server do you recommend?
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Posts: 136
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK ive got a choice between the CuteFTP server, Gene6 FTP server and the Bulletproof FTP server. Which one's the best?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1038
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uzzo wrote:
OK ive got a choice between the CuteFTP server, Gene6 FTP server and the Bulletproof FTP server. Which one's the best?

bullet is nice, cute everyone knows about, so, its really, pick outve a hat o.o

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.