How do I stop XP changing it's IP address?

• SheerGold
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • SheerGold

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I stop XP changing it's IP address every time the computer is restarted?

What settings do I need to change.

I'm using XP pro SP2
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's connected to a router, you can use a static IP and disable DHCP. If it's connected directly to a modem or is on a dialup connection, there is nothing you can do, except pay your ISP for a static IP address.
  • SheerGold
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • SheerGold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the help.

It's connected to a router.

But there is another computer wired to the router.
Plus there is a laptop and four Apple macs connected wirelessly.
Also, when I get them working, there will be three PAP2 (they are VOIP phone units).

Will disabling DHCP affect anything adversely?

Another point:
Some sites, such as eBay & PayPal, record the IP address that the visitor comes from.
As I have different eBay accounts I always switch the router off and on before going to another account. Plus I delete cookies. Then neither eBay nor PayPal knows that it is me again.
So will disabling DHCP mean that each time that I switch the router off and on that the routers IP address will remain constant? Or is it my internet providers IP address that eBay & PayPal see and keep records of?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a few choices. The first is you can give the XP box a static IP address and leave the others on DHCP. Just make sure that you give it a static IP out of the DHCP range. You can find that range by opening the web interface of your router.
If you disable DHCP completely, then you have to give ALL the machines a static IP address.

Ebay and paypal look at your external IP address, not the internal IP addresses that we are discussing now. They don't see those. Those sites go by the cookies. If you reboot your router, your ISP maybe giving you a new external IP address.
  • SheerGold
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • SheerGold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the help. That was really useful.

I can't find the place where I can change the XP box a static IP address.
Do I do that in XP?
Or on the router?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You change the IP in XP. Control Panel, Network connections, right click on LAN, left click on properties, highlight TCP/IP, left click on properties, choose Use the following IP address and choose the IP. The subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

You will also need the DNS IP addresses for your ISP. Enter them in DNS section. If you don't know them, search for them on the net or tell me the ISP and I'll find them for you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts