IE7 opens/closes immediately, firefox crashes in 10 mins.

• tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Don, I found the issue with moving shortcuts and why I didn't receive anything on right click while in the Programs menu. Somehow, the Enable Drap and Drop option was deselected in the Customize Start Menu\Advanced tab. Changed that back and I can do as I please with my start menu. Now if Internet Explorer could be fixed as easily...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, out of curiosity, I tried reverting back to IE 6. Upon attempting to install, it said a newer version (7) already exists and cannot continue. So, downloaded and tried intalling the IE 8 Beta version just to see if it'd work. No such luck damn it. Still getting the same message. In looking through windows explorer in C:\WINDOWS, there are folders for both ie7 and ie8. I tried both explorer.exe shortcuts there, both with no success and the same error message that it can't locate them. What would it do if I completely deleted the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, C:\WINDOWS\ie7 and ie8 altogether? Would that mess up anything with the overall performance of the computer, with shared files and all?? And, if that worked, completely reinstall IE from scratch?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you delete all traces of IE, you can start over. You should be able to install IE6.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it allowed me to delete the ie7 and ie8 folders under WINDOWS, but it won't allow me to delete the Internet Explorer folder in Programs. It says something is using it.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

annoyed...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about Unlocker? Did you forget you had it already? Otherwise, search for and delete IE in the registry.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

But what programs will it harm in removing it completely before the reinstall? Will it interfere with Windows at all?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it will harm any programs.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried deleting Internet Explorer from the Program Files directory and it said that programs were using it, to close those programs and try again. That automatically opened Unlocker. The Unlocker window says that winlogon.exe is using files C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard. Upon closing both of those, Windows immediately shuts down and the computer restarts. Any other ideas we could try?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, start run, type regedit, press enter, click edit and find. Do a few searches. One for ieplore.exe After it finds an entry, delete it and press F3. Keep doing that until it finds all entries.

Then search for internet and do the same thing. Don't get confused and delete explorer.exe because explorer and internet explorer are not the same thing.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, went through all those. sometimes it brought up stuff that had no hint of internet, ie, iexplore.exe, etc in the file names. I didn't delete those. Should I?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only delete what's related to IE.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Similar to iexplore.exe in Program Files, some of the items recreate themselves and I find myself deleting them over and over from the same place. I knew I hated IE for some reason...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you delete something from the registry, I don't see how it reappears.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You cannot completely uninstall Internet Explorer. IE is embedded in the OS.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

He wants to get rid of enough of it so he can install IE6.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is all fine and dandy but you cannot remove IE. It just isn't possible without some kind of third party app that I would be leery of using. It is possible to rid yourself of IE during install using a program called nlite (XP) or vlite (Vista) to create a custom install disk.

It appears at one time Microsoft had a KB on how to remove IE6 but it seems to have disappeared. I did find this though:
Quote:
Open C:\Program files\Internet Explorer.
Right click the folder Uninstall information.
Click Properties
Uncheck the hidden mode and press OK.
Go to C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\Setup.
Run setup.exe

I have no idea if it will work or not.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know the password for the administrator account? If not, reset it.
start run compmgmt.msc, local users and groups, users, highlight administrator, action, set password.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, thanks guys, let me mess with it a little more. Grinch, you're in Martinsburg??
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch, I don't have that uninstall folder in Program Files\Internet Explorer. Don, I know my password for the Admin account.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Login as admin if your account is restricting you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if this would be helpful but there's XPLITE that is created to remove IE from an already installed OS... so you wouldn't have to reinstall.

Also, can't you go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and remove IE7 from there?

You'll still have the IE, but you'll be able to install any other version that you like over it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

tad2lo wrote:
OK, thanks guys, let me mess with it a little more. Grinch, you're in Martinsburg??

No, I just like putting random cities in my profile. :wink:

I live a stones throw away from the Wal-Mart by the mall.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I don't know if this would be helpful but there's XPLITE that is created to remove IE from an already installed OS... so you wouldn't have to reinstall.

Also, can't you go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and remove IE7 from there?

You'll still have the IE, but you'll be able to install any other version that you like over it.

It won't let me uninstall it from there. It just appears in the list.
  • tad2lo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tad2lo

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I just like putting random cities in my profile. :wink:

I live a stones throw away from the Wal-Mart by the mall.[/quote]

Lol, ok ok... I asked for that! I've downloaded the xplite thing, now what exactly should I do with it?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 55 posts