IE8 Delegating a pages resource collection to multiple IPs ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just looking through some website access logs and came across an interesting pattern. The pattern suggests that this visitor was fetching all pages using one IP address, then the IP address used to fetch the resources in each page randomly toggled between two addresses on the same network.

Does IE, Windows, or something marked by the signature in this User-Agent header support this behavior ?
What is it ?

Code: [ Select ]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; AskTB5.4)

I've attached the portion of the log with the requests if anyone wants to see it.
Attachments:
access.log.zip

(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looks like someone crawling the site. Do you remember web snake? It might be some bot. The IP addresses in question are external IP addresses in Dubai, owned by the Emirates Telecommunications Corporation. So, it's not even someone's LAN.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking it's someone browsing from their place of work off the top of my head because of the Office~ stuff mentioned in the User-Agent.

I'm not familiar with Microsofts office/business software though. I've never seen a request be delegated like that before.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, off the cuff, Office live is a Microsoft Office addin that allows you to save/store/share files "online". They were accessing wallpapers, correct? Just thinking that perhaps they were saving them to their office live location.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would make sense, if there were double requests for each thumbnail.

Each page has 6 thumbnails. The way the requests are showing in the logs, the first IP requests the HTML page, and then there are 6 requests total after that split between the two IP addresses to fetch the 6 thumbnails on the page.

Maybe 10 seconds later, the same thing happens with a new page and 6 more thumbnails.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts