Imaging a drive in XP

• daz-man
  • Born
  • Born
  • daz-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two drives in my computer. Both are bootable and use Windows XP. My second hard-drive (D) contains a fresh and up-to-date copy of Windows, what I like to call a clean copy. I have the computer setup for dual boot and the "D" drive serves as a backup incase the other drive crashes.

I used Power Quest's Drive Image to copy the "D" drive to my "C" drive because my Windows on C drive was just running slow. After it was completed my windows would not boot and the error "NTLDR Missing" was displayed on bootup. I copied the following files from the Windows XP CDROM to the root directory and I was able to boot my computer:
NTLDR; and
NTDETECT.COM

Finally got her up and running but checking in MSCONFIG, Windows would still look to the "D" drive for some programs, cross linked files.

So how can I image the drive without all this hassle?

thanx
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Partition Magic

It's one of the two proggies I use for partitioning. It has a drive map option you can select that remaps the registry settings after new drives or logical drives are created. It takes a few minutes extra to scan and replace registry settings but it's worth it.

I haven't used Drive Image yet...but I would think it would have a similar option since they're both by Power Quest
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You crossposted this, go delete your other one in the General Disscussion forum.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts