inadvertant calculator "shortcut"

• compdinosaur
  • Born
  • Born
  • compdinosaur

Post 3+ Months Ago

I often misstype something that opens the calculator on my desktop. I do not want to open the calculator, but would like to know what keys I'm hitting to open it. I haven't been able to capture my faulty key sequence that does this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There isn't a default keystroke sequence for Calculator unless your keyboard actually has a button for it. But you or someone may have created a shortcut key for it. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories and locate Calculator. Right click it and select Properties. Click the Shortcut tab if not already selected. Look in the section called "Shortcut Key:" By default it would say "None" but if there was a shortcut key created you'll find it there.

Here's how to set up shortcut keys for any program:
http://www.zeigen.com/shortcuts/2007/03 ... shortcuts/
  • compdinosaur
  • Born
  • Born
  • compdinosaur

Post 3+ Months Ago

The default shortcut key for my calculator is set to "None", but some combination of keys around the lower area of my keyboard frequently opens the calculator. One of the keys brings up the start menu, but I couldn't find a subsequent key to open the calculator. This happens often.
Puzzeled Dinosaur
P.S. I just discovered this forum and this is my first post, so I'm not sure if I'm following the correct sequence/procedure.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a shortcut that opens a recently used program that involves the windows key ?

Maybe one that opens the first application in an accessories folder of the start menu ? Calc.exe would probably be pretty close to the top for that.

I have a feeling it has something to do with a different shortcut, and calc just happens to be the application that currently applies to the situation that shortcut is designed for.
  • alexandreliparini
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexandreliparini

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All.

One year later and i'm having the same problem as you did. Could you resolve it?

I have a cat that often walks over the keyboard, and now it has some shortkeys that I cant't take off. I discovered 3 shortkeys: Insert opens windows media player; home opens calculator and Page Up opens windows explorer...

I'm using windows 7 and have no idea how to get rid of it. When I go to their properties the shortkey is set to "none"...

Someone with any help?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I seriously doubt that the cats walking over your computer did that. Setting hotkeys, you typically need a program to do it. If you have other users in your house that share the computer with you, check with them to see if one of them didn't remap the keys to shortcuts they prefer. In the past you could remap keys per user. From what I was reading that was eliminated in Win 7 so any remapping would affect all users.

There is a program called keymapper that will let you easily reset the keys. You can download it here
http://code.google.com/p/keymapper/downloads/list

There is also a really excellent program for creating your own hotkeys, to launch applications, documents, folders or whatever else you'd like to do. It's called ZenKEY and is available for download here
http://download.cnet.com/ZenKEY/3000-23 ... 76343.html

Both programs are freeware and both even work on Windows 7.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts