initialize hdd

• Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, newbie here lol ok, i was transferring mp3s from my external hdd, the laptop froze on me so i switched off as i could not do any thing with it, my external drive was still on, when i went back to transferring it said there ws an error, i put the external on my main pc went to manager it came up black tried to initialize and won't allow me, i can't even format it says "Data error cyclic redundancy check" any one heeeeeeelp me out? thks ahead guys.
(win xp sp3) on laptop (vista ultimate on main pc)
Attachments:
error.jpg

Error

Attachments:
mrb initialize.jpg

MRB

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open a command prompt when the drive is connected. Type the letter of the drive followed by a : & press enter

For example, Let's say windows gives it the letter F. Type F: & press enter. If it switches to the F:> prompt, run dir

If it lists the files copy them by the command prompt.
  • Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

thks web master, i'll try that later, hdd not with me @ moment.
  • Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, typed the letter what windows gave me F: then i pressed enter, now it says invalid drive specification, any other ideas on getting this drive to initialize, im totally lost as this has never happened to me before, the drive letter is not showing in diskpart either, thks ahead
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, windows just won't read the drive. The only other thing I would try is boot with a live linux CD such as backtrack & see if that can read it. You have to know linux commands. For example, backtrack might see the drive as sba1 or something. Are you familiar with that?
  • Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

no Don, i am about to try Windows PE to copy the CD files out of this hdd then see what happens, it really doesn't matter about the files, a simple format of the drive will do me, but unable, the linux cd looks interesting thou...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

PE is a great idea. If you aren't worried about the files, then go for the format.
  • Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe i have tried the format on xp and vista, not showing the drive letter or hdd in xp, unallocated space in vista but, won't initialize so cannot format :(
i will post back results if all is good on the windows pe for others.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts