Re-Installing my PC (Again)

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyway, I'm going to install Windows 7 on my Ubuntu machine as Ubuntu is inconvenient for me... can't use any of the programs that I need and want. What I have questions in is, do I need to reformat the hard drive or will the Windows 7 Installation CD do that for me? I could just wait and see when I get the disk tomorrow, but I'm trying to already have answers when and if this pups up...

If I manually have to reformat the hard drive, how would I do that? If the CD formats it for me, would it be as good or even better then a manual format? Which way is best?

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will have the option to perform a format during the Windows 7 install.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you still want to play around in Linux you can look into vmware player and virtual box. You can actually simulate a headless server with virtual box (my guess would be that vm can do the same). Its quite nice because it gives you the power of running Linux with out the extra hardware.you just remote into it Like any other server.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
You will have the option to perform a format during the Windows 7 install.

Alright thanks.
SpooF wrote:
If you still want to play around in Linux you can look into vmware player and virtual box. You can actually simulate a headless server with virtual box (my guess would be that vm can do the same). Its quite nice because it gives you the power of running Linux with out the extra hardware.you just remote into it Like any other server.

I was thinking of installing Ubuntu on a separate Hard Drive and when I want to use Ubuntu, I'll just start the computer using that hard drive as external... I think it'll work.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I got the Windows 7 Box, and in the top left corner it says "upgrade" is it only for upgrades or does it install the OS as well?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probbably only and upgrade. Meaning you need to have windos XP/Vista prevously installed.

Dual booting is nice, but the problem is you have to restart lol. I use windows depends programs to much to run a dual boot. I actually ended up building a second desktop to run Linux on to setup next to my main computer. Now I just flip a switch on my monitor to move between the two. Also now if I'm in the middle of playing a game, I dont have to shut it down to do something quick, I just change monitors.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend has the same kind of CD with the word "Upgrade" on the top left and he said that he installed Windows 7 on a Mac OS machine as dual boot. I want to install this Windows 7 over my Ubuntu...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to, when you install Win 7 just tell it to format your hard drive. It will warn you and tell you that doing so will delete all of your data. You won't have any problem deleting your Ubuntu partition.

You might be able to install Win 7 as a fresh install. You would probably need to have a Win XP or Vista CD key along with it though. I've never done an upgrade, so it may require that the previous operating system already be install. Your friend may of dual booted with Win XP or something and then ran the upgrade.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think so... he bought a Mac machine for 2 grand and then bought the Win 7 CD because he couldn't play his favorite games on Mac... anyway, I just bought another Win 7 CD for $200 and gonna try it...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got one problem... the damn thing doesn't load from the damn CD... It flashes an error screen for like 1 millisecond and then loads Ubuntu...

I don't know how to make it load from the CD.

I went to BIOS and for the loading thing I made it so it will only load from the CD but the PC has a mind of it's own and disobeys me.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try #2: Now it's telling me there is no directory or file somewhere somehow... I just bought the CD and trying to install an OS on a hard drive and I'm missing some directory... wtf?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

This just got worse... Now it brought me to a screen telling me which partition to boot from and to select I have to use my keyboard but it disables my keyboard everytime I get to this screen... I have no idea what to do right now.

About booting from windows 7 CD it tells me the following (had to record the machine booting on video with my iPhone):

Quote:
CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I just booted the pc with the ubuntu cd and it stopped showing me that box to select what to boot from, BUT it still disables my mouse and keyboard... Windows 7 managed to mess up my pc without even being downloaded... This must be a sign
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great... Now it's telling me
Quote:
Error loading OS

I checked the boot sequence and it said

• Floppy
  • IDE-0:bunch of numbers and letters' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
  • Cd/DVD
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok it's now booting... But it still disables the mouse and the keyboard...

It just beeps once and immediately after the beep the mouse and the keyboard are disabled. If I unplug the USB connections and plug in again, the laser on the mouse lights up but the pc doesn't recognize the mouse... It's still useless...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Ok it's now booting... But it still disables the mouse and the keyboard...

It just beeps once and immediately after the beep the mouse and the keyboard are disabled. If I unplug the USB connections and plug in again, the laser on the mouse lights up but the pc doesn't recognize the mouse... It's still useless...

Funny though the keyboard charger which plugs in it's own USB spot works even when the mouse and keyboard doesn't work... Even in the same USB spots that the mouse and the keyboard doesn't work... I don't know what to do... I can't restart... Only hard shut down and that doesn't fix it

In the bios there is a setting that is titled as "USB Controller" and it is disabled... What is USB Controller?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:Hey Bogey,, I got the mouse problem fixed :D Now I need to install Windows 7 on the machine somehow... but how? Windows 7 is giving me problems without even being installed :x
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, this post tells me that there is a known problem with MSI motherboard reading the Windows 7 DVD.

Does ImgBurn work for Ubuntu (or equivalent for Ubuntu that is compatible with MSI Motherboard)? And would that solution work?

[This post provides those instructions a little better]
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like how Bogey has been talking to himself for the past 10 posts :) Did you end up enabling the USB controller? I have a feeling that will fix your keyboard and mouse problem.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I like how Bogey has been talking to himself for the past 10 posts :) Did you end up enabling the USB controller? I have a feeling that will fix your keyboard and mouse problem.

:D Yeah, I was updating the thread with what was happening so I could get up-to-date help :P

Yes, I pressed F6 For the default fail-safe settings and it enabled it (But disabled the USB Legacy Controller), but it works now... 5 of those 10 posts were from my iPhone because I couldn't get the mouse and keyboard to work :( Anyway, I didn't even touch the USB Controller settings... I have no idea why it was disabled.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to try and do what that post says... unless you know of an Ubuntu ImgBurner equivalent that is compatible with MSI Motherboard...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

My stupid ass just realized that I don't have a VISTA CD... the Windows 7 is out of reach...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there anyway that I'm able to get the Bootable Image (or whatever it is that I need for it to work according to those steps) without actually owning a VISTA CD? I really don't want to spend any more money to make Win7 work... I don't want to go out and buy a VISTA CD just so I can do that...

I'm also not computer savvy enough to buy a motherboard that is compatible with everything else that I have and install it properly...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you summarize what your problem is at this instance? Its hard to tell exactly whats happening through all the posts now.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I found out that the boot thing on Windows 7 CD is not compatible with the MSI motherboard. I happen to have an MSI motherboard on my computer.

A solution provided on the link there says to extract the boot image from the vista CD and insert it into the Windows 7... not physically, it requires me burning another DVD... Windows 7 with VISTA boot...

The problem... I don't have the VISTA CD to be able to do that.

I was wondering maybe there's another solution to this other then that, but I can't find any, and I'm not tech savvy enough to try and come up with my own... not tech savvy enough to go and buy another motherboard that is compatible with all the other components on my computer and be able to install it correctly.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I've never heard of a motherboard not being compatible. I just bout a new computer that has a MSI motherboard, but tis quite new. How old is your computer?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really know how old it is... according to that post, Windows 7 is not compatible with the old MSI motherboard so it must be old enough :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts