xp installing on extended partition

• davidg
  • davidg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got a new copy of xp. It is in french because i am in a french country. I don't understand french very well but it doesn't matter because i have installed xp many times. I am having one problem and that is that xp is installing itself on an exteneded partition / logical drive. I already have 3 primary partions. 1 for storage, 1 for vista, 1 for linux and then one that i use for xp. the xp one is about 30gb. When i delet the partion that had xp on it it turns to unallocated space and then i format it like usual and choose the NTFS file system but not the fast one. Then eventually when xp is installed and i go to disk management it is on a logical drive in an extended partition which was not even there to begin with because i don't use extended partitions. By the way it is xp home. The other weird thing is that it labels this logical drive as a boot drive and my storage drive as a system drive. Now i am unable to select vista to start up. Can anyone help me put xp on a primary partition and have vista able to be choosen when i boot. Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is on the first sector at the moment?

If you want that many OSes on one physical HD, which I don't recommend at all, the you might have to wipe the entire drive and start over.
  • davidg
  • davidg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to put vista on my other comp so only xp and linux are going on this one now. Anyways the first sector just contains data but is labeled as a system drive and it labeled it the c:\ drive
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, that's what you want. Put XP near the fist sector. If the partition is the size you want it, then install XP there and Linux on the free space.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts