Installing windows 98se on xp pro?

• EvilMo
  • Born
  • Born
  • EvilMo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey! all

i'm new to this site as i just found it doing a search for help on installing windows 98se on windows XP Pro? i have 2 drives and my c:\ drive has xp pro on it and my d:\ has some stuff but no OS, It has about 59 gig left and i want to install windows 98se on it. How would i go by doing that? any advice or help would be really appreicated. Thanks in advance

Shaun.......
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you willing to lose the files that are currently on the d:\ drive?

poly
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
are you willing to lose the files that are currently on the d:\ drive?

poly

That's a valid point, but he/she doesn't have to lose them. What is needed is a third party utility like System Commander.

http://www.v-com.com/

You can install System Commander on XP, then use the utilities to repartition your C: drive to make room for Windows 98 and use the OS Wizard to install Windows 98. I'm not certain you can do it on your D: drive and make it bootable. I think you'll have to do it on your C: drive and continue to use the D drive as a slave for your files. (somebody correct me if I have this wrong.)

After the install System Commander will let you select which OS you want to boot to and because it is a GUI format it's very easy to use.

The one problem you may encounter is that XP will probably be able to see the FAT partition for Windows 98, but I doubt you'll be able to access anything on XP from 98 if XP is formatted in NTFS.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

you are correct, he would have to loose all of his files off of D:\ if he were to make it bootable(with win 98.) if you were to put xp on both drives you wouldnt have to loose your files, but this is not an option with 98. There might be a program out there that can do it but im not aware of it. if you find one please let me know.

poly
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless you want to change the system boot order every time you want to change OSs then repartitioning the C drive is the way to go :D
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

The one problem you may encounter is that XP will probably be able to see the FAT partition for Windows 98, but I doubt you'll be able to access anything on XP from 98 if XP is formatted in NTFS.

Correct you will see the 98 partition on xp but you wont see the xp partition on 98 cause it is ntfs and is considered a non dos partition

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts