Installing Windows LongHorn....

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well im in the middle of installing Windows LongHorn right now.. i will post here some screen shots and feature about it that i found cool about it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, keep us posted, I am interested :)
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i played with it for about 2 hours or so.. and it is nothing more than xp with skins... IMHO and verrry BUGGY as would be expected with any beta this early on in the game. but it does look like it has some promise though... i would compare it to "what windows millennium did for windows 98SE" (not a damn thing but new look and feel basically and a few new features) please dont ask me for a copy of it as it is a 655 MB ISO file.. and it is a major pain in the ass to upload... and as it is my ISP (whom i happen to work for) has just decreased my upload speed to 128 from my previous 384!! so my upload is like 3x slower now.. but you can find it on e-mule or kazaa, it is out there...

ill post some screen shot here for you in a bit..
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually looks like someone did all the work so i dont have to!
have a look

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4008.asp

<a href="http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/long4008_067.gif" target="_blank">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/long4008_059.gif" target="_blank">Image</a><a href="http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/long4008_036.gif" target="_blank">Image</a>

post your thoughts on this
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks good, but alot like Windows XP with a few extra things. I would be more interested in them just getting out all the bugs in their previous versions of their operatins systems like the .gif problem some people have after installing the updates for their computer (at least on xp). That was the most annoying bug I have ever had, anyway I would rather have something extremely stable.

I know Microsoft always strives to bring out new products with something special though, to try to get people to spend another hundred bucks upgrading, that is what they do, and that is how they make their money.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru

I looked under software in kazaa but i can't find Longhorn. I don't know which one to click on. I don't think any of them look like alpha or beta.

Please reply back. I want Longhorn too
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm pretty happy with xpPro as it is, Not sure why I'd want to venture into a
whole new operating system again unless I knew it was REALLY ready to go.

Doesn't sound like that's the case yet.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd only download it if it had support for older systems and would make my computer more stable and have more security
its way too early right now
i might get it when it comes on beta
too buggy probally

chao!!
  • simpleminded
  • simpleminded
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Gadget Guru,
I'm running release 5 of Longhorn and I'm having a little trouble that you may be able to help me with. The trouble is network related. I have a Windows 2003 Server network set-up with routing and remote access enabled. I can ping the server I can even remote desktop into it which I currently am. But I cannot browse the network or go any farther than the server. It won't ping my ISP DNS Server. Its really pissing me off. I can surf the net just fine when I hook my cable modem up to it directly. Any ideas? Thanks a alot..... :)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was lookin into 4055 the other day and found a windows xp skin for xp pro

it actually looks kinda cool
i'm guessing longhorn is really just for media and all skins
who knows

does anybody know a program to get the right bar in longhorn NOT using windowblinds?

i can't stand windowblinds
no offense 8)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read in a mag that longhorn had serious performance problems, like taking 15secs to open ms paint...any problems like that?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just got longhorn today. Sadly build 4053. In this build ms paint take about 1 sec more to load then xp sp1. as a matter of fact. I'm running longhorn as i speak
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am pretty sure that Longhorn is supposed to have a different, more efficient, file system. Any info on it? Do XP programs run on it?
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is anyone running this on a 64bit processor? Does it support 64Bit?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of the xp programs run on 4053. I got 4074 today and havent tried to do anything yet. Thats why theres compatibilty wizards and such.

I think the GUI is too cluttered. although you can change the size of things.
  • Smiffy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Smiffy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, build 4074 has been out for a while now. You can download it from mIRC pretty easily at 120/kb per sec. I agree though that the system is slow but it's only like it's 6th build. Also, If you are planning to use Longhorn frequently, read the "tweaking longhorn" guide which makes it a hell of a lot faster. You can also disable the WinFS file system (WinFS takes up a bunch of your memory). The guide is here:

http://nextl3vel.net/Chris123NT/4074/LHGuide.html

You might have extra trouble with longhorn 4074 as well because the driver support is terrible. Your best shot at installing drivers is to right-click your setup file, properties, compatibility and set the compatibility for windows XP. And to answer your question about the 64-bit edition, yes there is a 64-bit edition (I have it on DVD) but the driver support is even worse because alot of programs/drivers arent compatible with a 64-bit OS. I'd reccomend buying (or downloading) windows XP 64-bit edition which is scheduled for release in a couple of months. Having the 64-bit processor and the OS to go with it makes it super-fast - trustme, I have it installed on a partition and it is 3 times as fast at getting things done than a 32-bit OS. Only problem again is most programs don't support 64-bit OS but I'm sure they will soon. Microsoft are partly-waiting for Intel to release there 64-bit processors too. Hope this info helps.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not at all happy with the progression of this thread. I do not dispute the fact that discussion of Longhorn is legitimate, but with a few exceptions (for instance the originator of this thread), I am not at all comfortable with where some of you may be getting a copy of Longhorn. To the best of my understanding the only way to get a legit copy of Longhorn is to be an MSDN subscriber and mIRC and Kazaa are not the places to get it. I'm currently not a subscriber to MSDN, but intend to write that into my budget for next year. I'm highly sceptical that some of the posts here from Longhorn users have been made by those who have spent the $2,799 required to become an MSDN subscriber: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/buy/prices/

If the trend of this post doesn't change it's going to get locked pretty quickly. I'm temporarily leaving it open for those who are MSDN subscribers to continue the discussion. OZZU does not support the use of illegitimately obtained software. If this discussion is to continue at all...get the real thing. Otherwise don't post..
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya true. But so far microsoft still has work to do in the hardware department of the control panel. It just makes it more confusing. What they need to do is to make windows xp as fast as possible. Thats where longhorn will need to have a more powerful computer thus costing more money. I think its a trick.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yay im a expert now!!!!
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd kill for a MSDN subscription, not only the longhorn download but all the other stuff they have.

Anyways, I have seen a lot of video demos that msdn.microsoft.com had, and it feels like they are trying to make it look pretty. It seems they are taking stuff from unix type OSes, like the 3d windows was on solaris a long time ago, wdiget type stuff has been onl linux and mac for a long time. Just the general look is trying to be more like mac, etc.

But they are making technology that will connect your operating system to other objects, like machines in your shop, etc. so you can control it from the desktop. Not sure if relying on windows is a good idea or not...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts