Installing windows on a new hard drive

• shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got a new hard drive on my notebook. This is a 20 gig IBM travestar, same brand that was in the notebook before. I'm actually trying to load windows 2000 profesional. The problem is whenever I try to load from the cd, it begins the setup, loading all the files, then it's stuck at "Windows is starting windows 2000", it never moves from there and I eventually have to reboot. Next I tried booting from the floppies, it gets thru all 4, starts the setup, asks me for an earlier version of windows. I slip in my 98 Cd. It then asks if I want to install, repair etc. I choose Install, it shows my C: as (New-Unformatted)....50,000mb....The thing is my hard drive is only 20 gig. Thats problem number 1.

Next problem, It tells me the installation is unable to be completed. I reboot and try using the disks again, it goes thru all 4 and this time it's stucked at "Setup is starting windows 2000".
I checked in my bios and it sees my hard drive at 20 Gig,

Any ideas?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the old hard drive around 50GB? Other than that im guessing theres no way to reset bios or at least update them. From there im clueless. Sry dude!
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the old hard drive was 40 gig.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

another thing. Try remove and reinstalling the hard drive. There could just be a bad connection.
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc

Post 3+ Months Ago

After trying and trying, I called hp and they sent me a copy of my recovery cd's saying thta would fix everything. NEW PROBLEM! The recovery cd starts and it gives me an error saying:

Error encountered whle creating Save to disk partition

X:\tools\s2d

and it just stays there.

does anyone know what this means?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a similair problem with copying files from my moms cd drive to her new harddrive. Do you have dual cd drives where you could somehow run knoppix (which runs from memory and cd) and copy files? I only know like 3 people that have it though. I have it and it saved me from letting me at least get to the internet. Since windows 2000 wont work its probably a bad cd drive. Thats what happened to my moms while i was trying to install office in which i had to copy the cd to the hard drive to get it to install. I'd try taking out the cd drive and check the connections for dust. I'll have to think some more up in the mean time.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.Test the hard disk in a machine as a slave
2.Try the cd rom in another machine, make sure it is not that
3.Copy the Install files to another machine and burn a new install disk that is bootable.
4.Try installing with new disk

If all else fails try to install it across a network.

Another option is try installing MS-DOS and make sure that it runs before heading up to the win2k. If the install is successfully at least you will have partions on the drive and you can edit them through the win2k install procedure.

Win2k is also suceptableto power issues so make sure your power is up to scratch.

The only time I have seen win2k not install is
a.Bad hard disk
b.Damaged CD

The NT install doesn't like dodge disk's - maybe it is a bad batch from your supplier

Just thought about it now but maybe something is wrong with your ram and evrytime it tries to copy to a certain address it is generating an error causing the machine to hang
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

HP computers will give all sorts of trouble when it comes to things like this. Especially if it is out of warranty good luck trying to get there help.
Make sure when you do get every thing back up and running to 100% make a back up disk of your drivers. as a matter of fact make two copies.
I have seen it happen to many times with a HP not being able to get a driver for your PC off of there web site. Also you can read the numbers off of a CD rom to them at HP and they will not have a clue how about getting you a driver. I preferably if at all possible refuse to do any kind ow work on a HP. There PC's in my opinion have gone down hill greatly.
On the other hand there printers are great. Go figure. Thats like I am a big DELL fan. But there printers are horrible, and the fact you have to order the ink from them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts