Intel CPU uCode Loading Error

• lukemrzzz
  • lukemrzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I just built a new computer for a customer and I get this in the process of booting.
"Intel CPU uCode Loading Error"
"Press F1 to Resume"

Once I hit F1 it takes me onto windows without a problem. Computer runs great I just need to get rid of this error code that comes up when booting up the system. I'm pretty much stumped.

Here are the specs:

Asus P5LD2 Deluxe Mobo Socket 775
Intel P4 Processor 2.8GHZ LGA775
Seagate barracuda 7200 SATA (160GB HD) ST3160812AS
Kingston 1024MB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon X1300 PRO (256MB DDR2) 16x PCIe

I read on a couple other forums that the problem was I needed to update my BIOS.. I ran into a couple other problems with that because the file extension of the file I downloaded from the ASUS website was a ".ROM" Extension. If anyone has any idea where to go from that I would greatly appreciate your help, I need this system to be up and running ASAP! Thanks a lot!

- LUKE
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the Asus BIOS download page for your motherboard
Quote:
Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS. Must use new Afudos(2.21) or later revision to flash BIOS.

So it seems you need a program names Afudos.exe version 2.21 or later. This will probably read that .ROM file you downloaded.

So I found this on that same website when i clicked on a link that said "How to upgrade your BIOS?"

You will want to click the link that says "AFUDOS BIOS Upgrade Procedure".
  • lukemrzzz
  • lukemrzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Asus Pundit-R Afudos BIOS update tool 2.21

I downloaded that. Now what do I do with the .ROM extension to update the BIOS and the Afudos Update Tool. There are a couple procedures to use on that page which one would be the easiest?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first method listed you will need the Afudos utility and the .ROM file on the floppy. When you reboot you should end up at a command prompt from there you would type in afudos /nameofROM.ROM where nameofROM = the name of the ROM file you downloaded.

The second method requires only the ROM file to be on the floppy and when you reboot to press Alt+F2 and it should flash the BIOS.

Personally, the second method sounds the simplest.
  • lukemrzzz
  • lukemrzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did try the ALT+F2 thing earlier and it didn't work, I suppose I can give it another try, my friend who is also a tech says you can't flash the BIOS with a .ROM extension it has to be a .ISO file. He never heard of a .ROM file off of a floppy.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

an .ISO is a CD/DVD image file, not a BIOS file.

ROM is a Read Only Memory Image. Various emulators and hardware upgrades use this extension. You need a flash program that is usually available from your motherboard manufacturer's Website. Do not flash a BIOS unless you know you have the image for your motherboard. Flashing the wrong image could disable your computer.

Your "tech" friend is an idiot.

If you need an .ISO why would you get a .ROM when you download the BIOS from the Asus website?
  • lukemrzzz
  • lukemrzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

an idiot he is. I finally got it working thanks a lot for your help!
  • olle
  • Born
  • Born
  • olle

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The first method listed you will need the Afudos utility and the .ROM file on the floppy. When you reboot you should end up at a command prompt from there you would type in afudos /nameofROM.ROM where nameofROM = the name of the ROM file you downloaded.

The second method requires only the ROM file to be on the floppy and when you reboot to press Alt+F2 and it should flash the BIOS.

Personally, the second method sounds the simplest.

If I dont have a floppy disk, can I use CD to update my BIOS?

P.S. my tech says I need only to disable CPU FAN control (it's ASUS P5V-VM Ultra, Intel Celeron Core 420 1.6Ghz BOX s775)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try putting it on a CD. I have no idea if it would work or not. It wouldn't hurt to try though.

You could also try what your tech suggested as well.
  • olle
  • Born
  • Born
  • olle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I would actually do.. if there was a CPU fan control.. but it is not there as well. That's the problem
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are a couple of links on how to flash your BIOS with a CD. Keep in mind I have not tried these so do it at your own risk.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd.htm
http://www.lejabeach.com/rhcf/biosguide.htm

You could also try this Asus Update Tool
  • olle
  • Born
  • Born
  • olle

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Here are a couple of links on how to flash your BIOS with a CD. Keep in mind I have not tried these so do it at your own risk.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd.htm
http://www.lejabeach.com/rhcf/biosguide.htm

You could also try this Asus Update Tool

Thanks a bunch! ))

Though, I have ased for a Floppy... it worked out. But now I have another problem.. I used cd Asus motherboard t install drivers after installation of WinXP, and then the monitor stopped showing at all. Do you know what might cause this problem?
  • realm81ny
  • Born
  • Born
  • realm81ny

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there ...i ran into the same problem many ppl have been experiencing with the new asus boards. so i found this forum and thought i try a few suggestions. i have downloaded the afudos 2.21 and .rom file from asus website and i have successfully flashed the bios both ways. but i still receive the intel cpu ucode error message. what else can i try to fix this error?
  • ATIV7220
  • Born
  • Born
  • ATIV7220
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

realm81ny wrote:
...i have successfully flashed the bios both ways. but i still receive the intel cpu ucode error message. what else can i try to fix this error?

I also downloaded the BIOS and flashed it using several methods - ASUS Update Utility both from a file and from the Internet (this method wouldn't even execute the flash), as well as the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility from putting the file on a flash drive. I was using version 903 and I had downloaded it from the USA site. Each time I flashed the BIOS and then checked the version, it still showed the original 802 and I still got the error. I had success when I downloaded version 903 from the Global site and used my flash drive.

- August
  • ATIV7220
  • Born
  • Born
  • ATIV7220
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sent the suspicion that the ASUS USA site had a corrupt version 903. The emails that ensued follow:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

PLEASE DO NOT SEND A STANDARD RESPONSE...I solved my problem, but if someone would please actually read what I've written, they'd see that I was impressed with ASUS and wanted to help ASUS satisfy their other customers by notifying them of a possible corrupt download. Hopefully my notification would save other ASUS customers from the difficulties I experienced. I do not need an RMA, I fixed the issue I was having and am quite satisfied with my purchase.

Thank you,
A T

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 4:19 PM
To: atixxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Email Tracking # E78640 has been replied

RMA Email DETAILS
---------------
User: atixxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received Date: 9/24/2007 9:28:06 PM
Email Subject: Bad download - P5L-VM-1394

Email description:
Dear Sir or Madam:

I tried several times to flash the BIOS (originally version 802) on my new P5L-VM-1394 motherboard using various methods outlined in my manual (very thorough, by the way). I initially downloaded version 903 from the USA link on your downloads page for this motherboard. The attempts gave no errors, but I continued to have the "Intel uCore error" and checking the BIOS version showed it remained 802. I didn''t have success until I downloaded the file from the Global link, so I think there may be a problem with the file at the USA link. If this is unclear, please feel free to reply and I''ll elaborate. MY problem is solved but it took me several hours. It would have only taken me fifteen minutes if the first file I downloaded had worked.

Thank you,
A T"

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts