Interesting Mandatory Profile Issue

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have three workstations setup that utilize an automatic login. The three workstations login with a dummy user account, for the sake of argument, called user1. I setup a mandatory profile for user1 and assigned it to the user account in active directory. Using Group Policy, I setup an autologin so the machines automatically log back in in case of a reboot or someone accidentally logs out. Today we get a call from one of the operators that use these machines. They claim that when they copy text the person next to them using a different computer can paste what they copied and vice-versa. I raised the BS flag and remoted into the machines and had them do what they claimed and holy crap. Operator1 was able to highlight some text and copy it to the clipboard using ctrl+c and Operator2 was able to paste the copied text from Operator1.

At first I thought it had something to do with the software they utilize on those machines and maybe they found a bug. So I had someone login to two separate boxes and launch the application and try to recreate the situation. No luck. So I got to thinking.

I had some XP virtual machines I was testing with and I logged into them using the user1 mandatory profile on two XP machines. I was able to recreate the issue. It seems that clipboard information can be shared across multiple PC's if they are using a shared mandatory profile. Very interesting. I don't know how to prevent this without doing away with the mandatory profile which is what I want to do any way, I don't like the autologin and managing these profiles can be tedious especially when you need to make changes.

Very bizarre to say the least but it makes some sense. If anyone has any clues on how you can disable that or prevent it from happening I would greatly appreciate it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check to see if ClpBook service is started/automatic. If it is, disable it on those computers.

Quote:
Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Not certain that is going to be the answer though. ClpBook services is disabled by default on XP.

My other thought is that they are stored in a temp directory somehow in the users profile, but I can't seem to locate any info on where that temp path would be.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I will look into it. I think it is kind of neat and it really isn't that big of a deal overall. I'm surprised the users discovered it at all because they aren't very bright.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like clipbook stores it in RAM
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4969214_wi ... -work.html

Quote:
The operating system takes a copy of that information and stores it in a location in memory that is only available to the operating system.

So it nearly has to be the remote sharing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts