Interesting network conundrum, choppy/laggy connection

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if this is the right forum, been a while since Ive been on. Figured Ozzu has never let me down, so lets give this a whirl!

Here is a link to Techguy forums where I have been trying to figure this problem out:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/10 ... ssues.html

Quick synapsis:

I am paying for 22 mbps service, but only getting 0.5 - 2.0 mbps (speedtest.net and speedtest.gci.net).

Things I have tried:
- Tested speed in regular boot and safe mode (hard wired), IE, Firefox and Chrome. Sparatic results at best, good results 1 out of 20 tests. Typically 5mbps or less. Upload is fine (2mbps), just the download I am having issues with.
- Replaced router (now using lynksis ES3200), modem, wireless network adapter, and am now hard-wired in.
- I have run avast, spybot, adaware and others in regular boot and safemode.
- Checked motherboard drivers through device manager (windows 7, 32bit) and through Live Update 5 provided by my MSI motherboard. Live Update 5 shows old driver, but windows device manager shows most recent driver installed.
- Completely deleted my Realtek PCIE Network driver and installed the brand new one from MSI website, just to make sure I DO in fact have the appropriate driver. Live Update 5 still shows old driver in its scan, windows shows the newest under device manager.
- Network resource manager does not show any unusual download/upload activity, so this is definitly driver/hardware related on my end.

I just bought a new Samsung 128 SSD (YAY! :D ), so within the next few days I will be wiping my hard drive and doing a full windows install onto the new drive. Maybe this will fix the problem (I certainly hope so), but does anyone have any idea why I might be having this problem?

I really think it derives from my drivers, but I cant seem to determine why or how.

Thanks in advance. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

check what nodes are active, do a netstat to check the coonections in and out.

Now, lets run through the checklist....

- phone line connected on the main line, not a extended one upstairs.
- telephone cable shortest possible to give best db signal.
- factory reset of router and rebuild.
- filter on phone line
- ISP line test
- Are you in a good zone from house to exchange
- how old are your phone lines and has there been maintenance done on your street. (crossed wires on the outside lines and bad wired config can reduce speeds greatly, took me 6 tech guys to fix my lines. 1 broke it, another got it half working, more rebuilt it.

Again i would be doing lines tests from ISP

speed test with network cable on 3 different computers, vary results still bad go back to phone line issue.

that should keep you busy for a few days, holla back with some results.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, thanks for the reply.

I have done a good deal of that. Troubleshot with cable company for quite a few hours, new modems etc. Last time I troubleshot for 2 hours with a lady on the phone (multiple resets and flashes), ran up to the cable store and got a BRAND new modem (which I had done before), got home and called her directly back. She flashed new firmware again, blah blah blah, still nothing. We even tried wiring directly to the modem itself, isntead of hardwiring through the network. I am almost 100% convinced it is a driver issue, but I cant seem to figure out why (or how to fix it).

I also have multiple devices that work wonderfully well on the network (1 laptop, 2 phones, 2 TVs and an xbox 360).

Zealous wrote:

- phone line connected on the main line, not a extended one upstairs.**It is direct

- telephone cable shortest possible to give best db signal.**Incredibly short (Modem/connection/cable box etc all within 2 feet of each other)

- factory reset of router and rebuild.**Done multiple times

- filter on phone line**Not sure Ive heard of this?

- ISP line test**Done, looks good

- Are you in a good zone from house to exchange**It is an apartment complex (ug). But all my other devices work well.

- how old are your phone lines and has there been maintenance done on your street. **No idea, but again, other line tests seem to indicate it is a problem specific to me desktop

Im going to try deleting the Live Update 5 tonight, along with some of the catalyst drivers and PCIE Network drivers, doing a restart and installing without MSI's updater help.

The way its acting, I can just feel (like, voodoo :D ) the drivers bouncing their heads off each other and causing a mess in my through-put.

Ive also heard some people suggest power failures to be an issue with some of this. I believe my motherboard is ok (relatively new, less than 6 months old) and the power supply is good. I have the computer plugged directly into the wall isntead of a power strip, so its isolated as well.

Yeesh, I got no dukes!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhmm tried different network cards? i all ways have a spare network card just for emergency's.

all i can say now is Welcome to the Internet, the fun never ends.

if your lines are fine then i would start trouble shooting the hardware....even more.

if it is just software related then just go screw it wipe that *peach* clean with a 30 pass wipe. nothing will survive that.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am down to that it seems, thanks for all the responses. I really just want to make sure I havent overlooked somthing simple I should have thought of.

I do have a PCI card Im going to try, along with one last usb Wifi adapter. After I do that, its on to the wipe. I really hope that solves the issues (and I think it will).

Why do we buy computers again? :)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
I am down to that it seems, thanks for all the responses. I really just want to make sure I havent overlooked somthing simple I should have thought of.

I do have a PCI card Im going to try, along with one last usb Wifi adapter. After I do that, its on to the wipe. I really hope that solves the issues (and I think it will).

because they cost less then girlfriends lol :)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Smokenjoe wrote:

because they cost less then girlfriends lol :)

Ah! I will remind my fiance' of this fact, and that she is in fact disposable.

In a completely unrelated subject, I wonder if my computer will put out enough heat to keep me warm while I sleep on the couch tonight. :lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this same exact problem the other day as I just got the new Linksys AC 1750 router. The problem for me was I normally get 26 Mbps down about, and 2-3 Mbps up. After having the router for a few days I noticed that my download was always around 5 Mbps, and I tested on both a wired connection and the wireless and it was always the same.

I then called Comcast and they advised me to connect directly to my cable modem which then confirmed for me it was the router. When I connected directly to the modem my download speed went right back to normal at around 26 Mbps. So I then called Linksys and on my router in the admin area there is a spot where you can prioritize your connections. By default when you enable this section, there is another section which puts a cap value of around 5000 Kbps, and that is what was limiting my connection speed.

Unfortunately for you it sounds like you went directly through your modem and the speeds were the same, so I doubt this is your issue, but it might help someone else reading this thread.

Since I had this issue I was actually doing lots of research as well. I would be curious to what your cable modem signals are. Sometimes if you are out of an acceptable range it could cause problems such as these. Also is your modem DOCSIS 1, 2, or 3?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a great area to check, and I will definitly check it in my settings (although, as you said, I seem to be experiencing the same problem even when directly connected to the modem).

All this being said, I finally figured it out! Long story short:

Service providers fault, GCI.

Long story long:

Incredibly frustrated it took me so long to figure this out, and feel a little silly too. Sometimes its hard to nail down a problem that is as sporatic as this one has been (thats my story and Im sticking to it!)

I got home from work yesterday ready to wipe, install new SSD and do a fresh windows install (I had also brought home my work laptop for additional assistance). First things first, check the speeds and see whats happening. Surprise! 18-20 mbps on the desktop, hardwired through the network. I switched over to the modem, same results and did both on the work laptop as well (double and triple check). Everything shows 18-20 mbps, wowza! At this point Im thinking maybe some of the driver stuff I did actually took and fixed itself.

So, instead of wiping, I simply unplugged the old HD and installed the SSD to go ahead and do a fresh install. Got windows installed(so FAST! love the new SSD), got my drivers all up to date and decided to go do another speed test. Got to the website, realized I needed flash so I went to the flash site to start downloading it. Everything went to crap, slooooow. I quickly booted up the work laptop again, and did a speed test (all this is hardwired), getting 0.5 - 3 mbps. I unplugged from network and went directly to the modem, even swapping through a few ethernet cables, and received the same results.

So, there you have it. I finally caught it while it was happening, did triple checks with 2 computers, it is definitly my service provider. Glad I finally caught it, wish it had been sooner (at least I got a cool SSD :))

I will be calling GCI today, giving them one more chance to figure out what wiring is screwed up on their end and then Im switching to the local equivalent of DSL. Slower speeds, but at least Im guaranteed what Im paying for (and they have a good service record up here, from what Ive heard).

Thanks for all the help, and maybe this will save someone the effort in the future.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting story, and that is awesome you caught it like that and verified with two computers connected directly to the modem. That seems like good enough evidence to me to point to your ISP as the reason for the faults.

The only other thing I did not mention, which I am unsure if I missed this above anywhere, is that typically cable connections are shared amongst your community. All it takes is one of your neighbors being a resource hog to bring the speeds down for everyone. Still if your ISP is promising those speeds, they are at fault, not you.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Interesting story, and that is awesome you caught it like that and verified with two computers connected directly to the modem. That seems like good enough evidence to me to point to your ISP as the reason for the faults.

The only other thing I did not mention, which I am unsure if I missed this above anywhere, is that typically cable connections are shared amongst your community. All it takes is one of your neighbors being a resource hog to bring the speeds down for everyone. Still if your ISP is promising those speeds, they are at fault, not you.

Agree completely, and its something the tech admin (workin my way up the chain!) I just talked with said we would look at.

My only thought on that is how huge the drop is. I could understand getting 8-12 mbps (paying for 22) in peek usage times. I would be ok with it. I do have an issue if they oversold my area SOOOO much that I am tanking down to 0.5 mbps. That is literally unusable internet, and I cant believe anyone else in our area would be having any luck either. I really hope its somthing else, because I literally have no other options for internet service where I am now (DSL, Satalite etc. are not offered in my area).

Im going to run a few trace route tests and call them back this evening, see what he can determine from his end as well.

My fingers and toes are crossed! :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts