Internet Disconnects

• Larrygs
  • Born
  • Born
  • Larrygs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Frequent, Irregular, Internet Disconnect Problem: (Have tried new ISP, have HP Tech suggestions that do not make sense to me. Any ideas?)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Larrygs
  • Born
  • Born
  • Larrygs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since this was my first entry into the forum, I thought my first message would be a part of the subject and therefore was brief. I have much more information about my disconnects.

THIS IS WHAT I EMAILED TO HP TECH SUPPORT: ............ Dear HP.... I have had internet disconnect problems with my PC since my purchase (June 4). I first thought my first ISP (national company) was just having problems. Later, I decided to download the HP upgrade from v.90 to v.92 (LT DATA+FAX MODEM DRIVER UPDATE). That did not help. After awhile I contacted the ISP tech support. They said they were not having problems, that the problem may be noise on the telephone line or my Modem. I used all 3 local telephone lines available but continued to have irregular disconnects (1 minute, 4 minute, 30 minute, 50 minutes, etc).
On July 28 I got a new local ISP thinking that would solve the problem. It did not.
I have read the HP help and support site about disconnects entitled "I Keep Losing Internet Connection". The items on it do not apply to my situation.
What is the problem?? Do I have a bad MODEM?...........(end of email)...........................

While waiting for the HP reply I reviewed my "idle time" disconnect settings on both Internet explorer and Windows XP. They were both set to 30 minutes but just to be safe I unchecked both of them.

HP first advised me to find a file in Windows named ie.inf and Install it. I did a search but could not find that exact name anywhere, even in hidden. However, I did find a Windows folder named inf, and after clicking on it got a long list of files that included file ie. It appeared to me that I had found what they wanted but I did not use the Install feature HP advised before contacting them again. Their response is vague but they are now saying since I did not find that exact file name ie.inf, I need to go to a Microsoft web site for a reinstallation of Window XP! After that suggestion they added the disclaimer that they will not be responsible if I have any problems with this processing!! (Can anyone find the Windows file ie.inf on your version of Home XP?)

They also indicate that the disconnect problem may be related to my Internet Explorer software!? Does that make sense? They tell me to reinstall it but do not tell me how. Maybe it to is on a Microsoft web site?. Anyway, I'm reluctant to reinstall Windows XP since I don't think that's the problem and I might just skrew the OS up. Your thoughts and Suggestions?

Thanks.... Larry

Since this post I have learned that the Install of the ie.inf file that HP is telling me to perform is in fact a reinstall of Internet Explorer. I still can't find that file. I can only find file ie in folder Windows/inf.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt that re-installing IE or XP would help. It might although you might want to check for line noise first.

See http://www.interalb.net/support-dial-up.htm#linenoise

They suggest jacking a phone into the box outside your house to see if you hear any noise. If this isn't really an option for you, you might want to have the phone company check things for you.

I had a similar problem with disconnects about a year ago. It was due to interference by an appliance in the house. I fixed it by plugging into another outlet. This wasn't very convenient however. Moving my system wasn't really an option so I got a heavy duty extension cord so I could reach another outlet in the room. I'm not saying this is the problem that you are experiencing but it's worth a look.

My problem wasn't really related to the phone line, however. When my refrigerator would kick on, it was causing interference in the electrical wiring that my modem was picking up through the PC. If it was causing noise in the phone line, it probably wouldn't have mattered into what outlet I plugged the PC.

Call waiting will also interfere with your connection if it's not disabled.
  • Larrygs
  • Born
  • Born
  • Larrygs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jim....... Thanks for the reply.

I've checked the phone line myself according to the web site you provided, and by the phone company and no problems found.

The appliance problem would explain the irregularity of the disconnects.
I've used the frig thermostat to kick it on and off while being connected. No problem there. Also, we do not have call waiting.

I'm still reluctant to reinstall Windows XP but I do not understand why I do not have that ***** ie.inf Windows file that can be used to reinstall Internet Explorer. Maybe I'll get some other suggestions.

Larry
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
HP first advised me to find a file in Windows named ie.inf and Install it. I did a search but could not find that exact name anywhere, even in hidden. However, I did find a Windows folder named inf, and after clicking on it got a long list of files that included file ie.

If you found a file called IE in the INF folder then that is most likely the file they were referring to. I'm guessing they told you to right click on the file and select install.

Actually, there should be two files named ie in Windows\INF:

IE.inf and IE.pnf,

By default windows hides file extensions for known file types. You can disable that by going to Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and uncheck Hide Extensions for known File types. Then you'll be able to tell what's what.

To see if it's actually there, Open a command prompt, enter these command:

Code: [ Select ]
cd %systemroot%\inf

dir ie.inf
  1. cd %systemroot%\inf
  2. dir ie.inf

Unless you get 'File not Found', it's in there.

If ie.inf is indeed missing, you can extract a copy of it from your XP CD.

Put your XP CD in the drive. Enter this from a command prompt:

Code: [ Select ]
expand -r cdrom:\i386\ie.in_ %systemroot%\inf

replace cdrom with the appropriate drive letter.

ie.inf should now be in your INF folder. You can go ahead and try to re-install IE per HP's instructions but I'm not very hopeful that that will fix your problem. You never know though...

You might also try finding updated drivers for your modem.

Good Luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts