Internet Explorer keeps closing in most sites!

• turkish
  • Born
  • Born
  • turkish

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer keeps closing without warning for example I go onto Hotmail.com, I put in my usernam and password, press login and it just closes itself! Every now and then it does the same to Wannado. Alot of links to Web-sites in search engines, if I click on them the page closes without warning! It is getting very irratating, I am running Adaware, Spy Sweeper, Spy Bot search and destroy and Yahoo pop up stopper! None of this gets rid of it!

Does anyone else have this problem or know a way for me to fix it?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

By default, IE6 gets installed with a default value of around 1.6 GB of cache allowance for temporary internet files (i.e. cache). This is a common problem a lot of people have. After an extended period of use, your cache files build up. The typical setting is for IE to check for a "new" version of the page "automatically" although some set this to "every time". The last computer I cleaned up that had this same problem had over 20,000 files in just one user's temporary internet files. (Think about it. Everytime you select a page, IE is going to review and compare the current page to over 20,000 files? No wonder the browser crashes! I have no clue what the IE programmer was thinking about when he set that as a default!) You can adjust the size of the temporary cache by clicking Tools|Folder Options. In the General tab click settings and readjust the size there.

Contemporary computer's do not need this much cache space alotment. Although the computer itself may be capable of handling it IE is not. Symantec Enterprise Edition Antivirus recommends setting the IE cache to the bare minimum. I have set all my work computers to 10mb with no negative results. (You do need a small amount of cache but certainly not 1.6GB!!!)

Clearing cache in the internet explorer options is not a great solution because it really doesn't do what the name suggests. You need to first of all "unhide hidden files" by opening Windows Explorer and under Tools|Folder Options select the View tab and check the Show hidden files radio button.

Then navigate to C:\documents and settings\the user you want goes here\local settings\temporary internet files\Content.ie5

Under content .ie5 you will have several folders for every user. Each folder represents a new browser instance. Every time you open a new browser window a new "temp" folder is created and named with a random set of numbers and letters. Delete all folders you see under content.ie5

The folders will recreate themselves as needed. That's the only reasonably sure way to get rid of temp files (It doesn't do it entirely, but it will be enough to fix this problem).

If you haven't already closed Internet Explorer close it and try it again. You should be fine from that point on.

If you have multiple users, you may need to repeat the above for your other users.
  • turkish
  • Born
  • Born
  • turkish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the temp internet files advice!

The cache was on 50mb, changed it to 10mb. I could not find the show hidden files in the list. Internet Explorer is still closing. Is there anything else that can be done?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This gets a little more complicated, but you could try the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
  • turkish
  • Born
  • Born
  • turkish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers, I finish work now, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know how I get on
  • TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

*Cough Cough... Use Mozilla. :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheBecoming wrote:
*Cough Cough... Use Mozilla. :wink:

That is a standard answer, and I agree with it, but in spite of security risks with IE and all the other hoopla, it is till the most commonly used browser. On a personal level there are times when I have to use IE because that is the only browser that will parse the page I need to be at.

My number one example is my online banking. Not entirely sure why yet, but I can access my account on IE, but if I use any Mozilla based browser I can't.

Besides, unlike us techies, there's a vast majority of the world that doesn't even know another browser exists besides IE.
  • las94
  • Born
  • Born
  • las94
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

:?: Hi I have tried your ideas for stopping your browser from disappearing when going to a site. And I am still having trouble with my browser disappearing i even downloaded mozialla and it's does it with that browser too.

please any info you can give to help solve this problem.

Thank
  • turkish
  • Born
  • Born
  • turkish

Post 3+ Months Ago

I repaired Internet Explorer through the microsoft web-site, the problem has not been solved. Thanks for your advice anyway ATNO/TW.

Kind Regards
  • Tyler Durden

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree, dump ie and use mozilla.
  • deejaypuncrok
  • Born
  • Born
  • deejaypuncrok

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've been having the exact same problem for the last month. i've run numerous spyware and virus scans, installed all the latest microsoft updates, but nothing seems to work. i don't even have time to mess with the "tools" once i open it. if i click "stop", it instantly closes. i've had enough and switched to mozilla which is absolutely terrific. the only downside is that i can't listen to the online radio i subscribe to using it. i'm so sick of IE and judging by the searches i've done, plently of people are having this same problem. i'd really like to know when, if ever, microsoft will release a solution.
  • c0derman69
  • Born
  • Born
  • c0derman69

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that Firefox is a much better browser, but some sites do not work correctly with it ... most likely cause M$ has dominated the desktop with IE ... anyway about your IE closing problem check to see if you have any toolbars installed ie. Yahoo or Google ... if you do remove these from the Add/Remove programs and then see if your IE works any better ... just a thougt ... I had fixed a few pc's just recently with this issue ...

Hope this helps ... worked for me.

C0derman69

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts