• Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Internet Explorer keeps closing down.
window xp
i tried to scan for viruses,adware nothing, every thing is ok
i made system restore point. it worked.
after a few days, the same thing happened again.

any help well be appreciated.

Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this problem. When IE 6 SP1 is installed it sets the Temporary Internet Files cache to over a gig of storage space (Nobody needs that much space). As you approach that large of a file size, you start crashing IE.

Reduce the file size for cache to 50 MB and manually delete all of your temp internet files (or use the "delete files" in Internet options -- I had to do it manually, because IE would crash everytime I tried to do it from the browser) - IE hasn't crashed since then.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont wanna sound nagging...but even if usually 1Gb arent needed for internet cache...isn't explorer supposed to handle this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might be supposed to, but I can guarantee you it doesn't. However, I will say that I also run Symantec Real Time protection, so in addition to IE scanning cache and Symantec scanning the files, when I got close to the gig, I was crashing all the time. Like I said, once I deleted all the cache files and reset to 50MB no problems at all since. Besides, if you have broadband, cache files are fairly pointless anyway.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW i will try it out, i hope it works i will let u know soon.

Thanks
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

If that deosnt work try mozillas new firefox. My friend recently got it and i tried it and basicly same thing as IE. looks the same blocks pop ups is a little bit easier to navigate options with and has no back door problems
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

ThATKiD
Thanks for the hint i am downloading it now i heard so much good about it, i will try it.
Thanks
  • np
  • Born
  • Born
  • np

Post 3+ Months Ago

Props 2 ATNO/TW

Problem sorted! Appreciated.
  • Barbara Lorraine
  • Born
  • Born
  • Barbara Lorraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

:(
I also have the same problem with IE. I've tried all the above and then some. I ned to use it since there are websites I 'need' to access that won't work without IE. If anyone knows, or ever finds out what the solution is, I sure would like to know about it as well. BTW: I like firefox/mozilla for it's ease and simplicity. Wish it worked with all websites.
  • pksampley
  • Born
  • Born
  • pksampley

Post 3+ Months Ago

I uninstalled two toolbars, Google and Yahoo and that too care of my problem which was:

I tried to upload pics on ebay and internet explorer would shut down and I could not load pics. it is corrected now by simply going to the uninstall program (crontrol Panel)!!
  • pksampley
  • Born
  • Born
  • pksampley

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was able to fix my problem by un-installing the following toolbars: Yahoo and Google.

Thanks,
Phil

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts