Internet Explorer will be blocking popups soon

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft plans to add pop-up blocking features to Internet Explorer next year as part of its Service Pack 2 update for Windows XP, a move that would go far toward stamping out the Web advertisements.

Darin Linnman, a Microsoft spokesman, said that the company plans to add the pop-up blocking feature to an updated version of Explorer with Service Pack 2 (SP2) when it's released in the first half of next year. But one caveat, he said, is that Microsoft will be gathering customer feedback that will be weighed as part of the final decision to add the feature.

"I can confirm SP2 will include an update to IE that adds pop-up blocking," Linnman said.

By adding pop-up blocking tools to IE, Microsoft will belatedly join a host of other Web browser makers that let people avoid flashy pop-ups, or advertising windows that appear over or behind requested Web pages. Opera, Mozilla and Netscape--all of which have only a minor share of the total browser market--give users the option to seamlessly block intrusive advertising while surfing the Web. Because Microsoft dominates the browser market, it could greatly influence people's ability to remove the ads with ease.

See the whole article here:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5105139.html?tag=nl
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that's kinda old news, but still good to know what the status is.
Thanks for the info sir. :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love my google toolbar!!!! :P
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

me too 8)

the only thing is that it shouyld only block all the advertising and prono stuff and only allow needed pop-ups like uh say demos on wal-mart.com

me am sick :cry:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want to see a pop up you just click the control key as you refresh the page and it will allow it.

I hope you feel better soon! *hugs*
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm....I dont think this is a very good idea. If they implement popup blocking in IE then the majority of internet users are going to have popup blockers so now any sites with popups aren't going to make money anymore. As good as it is as the consumer, the popup blocking is good but for the producers its going to have a downfall on popup advertising economy.
  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have any idea on where advertisers will go to spend
their money? I doubt it will be plain banners...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts