Internet Option Menu

• fred99587
  • fred99587
  • Loc: SEATTLE

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

When I go to the internet option menu, under "home page" I've got a lot of addresses listed. How do I clear this list of the addresses?

I've tried "clear history", delete cookies and clear the ie temp files. It's still there???

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

That feature is called autocomplete. To clear it go to internet options, content then below there will be auto complete click that. Then click clear forms which will clear what you want to be cleared and clear passwords which does what it says.

hope this helps
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great tip twmspro. :) I wasn't sure what the deal with that was. I wasn't aware that auto complete applied to that particular form.
  • fred99587
  • fred99587

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. I did what you said but I still have a bunch of web addresses showing up on the list???
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the General tab, try clicking 'Clear History'. That worked for me. This will clear the entries in IE's address bar as well, however.
  • fred99587
  • fred99587

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that too, and the autocomplete even mentions it. Yesterday I got rid of a Coolwebsearch Spyware that used to change my home web page. I wonder if it did not create its own little temp file somewhere to access randomly new home pages???
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

:scratchhead: hmm, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I keep my home page locked and never noticed those extra entries before. I unlocked it and sure enough, there were several addresses listed. I cleared my history and they disappeared.

Are the addresses gone from Internet Explorer?
  • fred99587
  • fred99587

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure I understand the question but if I go to Internet menu option and type a "w" in the home page field I get a pulldown menu with a list of maybe 30+ web addresses and even when I use clear history the list remains.... (??????)
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was asking if the web addresses in the Internet Explorer address bar were cleared. Not the ones in the home page form in Internet Options. The ones in the actual IE program.

If not, try closing all your browser windows and then clear the history.

If that doesn't work then refer to this page:

http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm

Read through the info there. They list several things which might cause a failure to clear the history.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
  • fred99587
  • fred99587

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great thanks again for the tip. The adresses do not appear on the address bar any more just on the home page list

Thanks again for your help
fred
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome. Good luck with that.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE keeps a list of "Validated" home pages in your registry. Many scripts take advantage of this and add their site to this registry key. I do not remember where it is located but you might be able to find it using a search.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts