Internet problems

• Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now, I dont know if this is a problem with Windows, my ethernet card, or my ethernet cards drivers, but I do know for a fact that it t my ISP. We have called and called and called and they cant figure it out. Then they tell us to cal Microsoft, but we dont want to pay a giant fee becuase they put us on hold for hours. My ISP is Comcast and I have Cable internet.
When I use my cable internet connection I will be able to go on as usual for a while and then it will kick me off. It will just disconnect. I go to control pannel and then to repair connection and it says 'Unable to flush the ARP cache'. So the guy at comcast walks us through the the Command Prompt way to force it to flush it and it still wont. When we got our internet in the begginning it wouldnt get activated by our computer, a guy from Comcast had to come out with his laptop and register us.
My ethernet is a SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. Its a 10/100. Im using Windows XP. I cant call the manufacturer (Freeway Technology) of my computer becuase the company went out of buisiness. please help, if you need more info, post your questions, I will be happy to give them. :x
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm lso on comcast, and there are having problems..

Every few hours my connection will just disappear for no reason. I used to think it was only my PC, and if I rebooted it came back.

But then it started happening while I wasn't near the PC, and it came back all on its own. My machine here is Win2K. Then I noticed it started happening to my girlfriend's PC (Win98SE) and my Linux box. All three are going through the same cablemodem, but each on a unique IP address (no routers or proxies, etc. They just go to a 5 port switch, with the cablemodem on the uplink port). For all intents & purposes, they are three separate Internet connections, and should not interfere with each other.

I've also spoken to a few other people in the area, and they say they are having similar problems. The ones that are using Win98SE or Win2K, the connection comes back after a couple of minutes. The ones that are using WinXP, they have to shut down their PC, unplug the cablemodem for a minute or so, plug it back in, then turn their PC back on, and it all comes back.

Comcast deny there is a problem to us, but there most definitely is, and it's not just us that are noticing it.

Where abouts are you located? I'm in Sarasota, FL, and I know of at least half a dozen other people in this area having similar problems.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having similar connection problems with Comcast. At first I thought it was just me, or IE or a hotfix I installled. But yesterday, I found that one of my computers completely lost internet access and had to reboot to restore it (Win98 on that one). On this one (WIn2K), I've had a lot of problems connecting to OZZU...primarily with IE (which I thought was the culprit because that's what I primarily use). Ozzu pages would sometimes load and sometimes not. Although most other probs occurred very sporadically with other sites, I did have problems with those as well. I've been using NS 7.1 all day just to test, and although I've had less problems, I still have connectivity problems, primarily with OZZU, but with others less frequently. Interesting....
  • Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The odd thing is, 2 friends of mine that live only a mile away from me have never been disconnected before. I live in Minnesota. I thought it was comcast, but since the guy with the laptop was able to register our internet when I couldn't on our own, then I concluded it must be something with our computer.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's possible. Sometimes Windows (or Internet Explorer) will install something all by itself that will conflict with other software & drivers that already exist.

If you really think that might be a possibility, backup your important data, then format & reinstall the OS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts