Internet sharing problem

• Four Square
  • Born
  • Born
  • Four Square

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed a network adapter in my P4(192.168.0.2) to connect to Host(192.168.0.1) (both run Xp, pro, SP2). The adapter is okay (tested) but I am not able to ping it. I understand that without this step it would be futile to go further. I see a red X with message "cable unplugged", and "Destination Host Unreachable" while trying to ping 192.168.0.2. Ping to 127.0.0.1 gets reply. Using ipconfig, I get this "Media State ... Media Disconnected". I tried using another adapter, but same result. However when I ping from my host to the problem PC, I get "request timed out" error.
I installed & updated the drivers for the adapter, but no result. However, putting the host aside, I used its IP settings on this PC, put the Internet cable to the adapter and it connected to the internet flawlessly indicating the card is okay. But when I try to use the same nothing happens.
What am I missing? I need to use Internet sharing because sometimes the antivirus need direct connections and my son needs it for himself
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are missing a router. It will make networking much easier.
  • Four Square
  • Born
  • Born
  • Four Square

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello
I agree. But even that would require a LAN card (I suppose). My main worry is that the red X mark, that does not go, I can't ping even to my own network card which is installed, has no conflicts etc. Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you need a network interface card. A simple solution is a USB to cat5 adapter. Radio Shack has one for under $30. It's made by Trendnet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts