Internet surfing slowdow. Any solutions?

• toebreaker
  • toebreaker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, ya’ll, here’s the issue I hope someone has the solution to. Three days ago, my laptop’s internet browsing speed became lower than normal. Originally, pages would load almost instantaneously. Now, pages take 20-60 seconds to fully load. I use my internet router at home for my wireless connection. It’s been the same router and connection for 2 years. Thinking my browsing slowdown had to do with browser, I’ve tried IE and FireFox. Same slowdown. Is it my router? I don’t think so b/c my sister’s laptop, which has RAM and processor speed about ¼ of my laptop’s and uses the same wireless connection I use, loads some pages even faster than mine! Also, I just went to a coffee shop with free wireless and my browsing speed has the same slowdown. Again, I noticed this only 3 days ago. All my other apps and programs on my laptop work perfectly.

Steps I’ve taken:
>>> Scanned for viruses, adware, malware, and spyware with several programs multiple times. (exclusive anti-virus) Nothing shows up – my laptop is completely clean.
>>> Deleted all cookies and temp internet files.
>>> Uninstalled and then reinstalled FireFox.
>>> Tried t run a System Restore back to the time I didn’t have this internet surfing slowdown. My laptop said no changes to my computer has been made since then.
>>> Pinged using ipconfig. Tests come back fine.
>>> Rebooted a few times.
I’ve noticed that sites with many images take much longer to load. Like I said before, every other app and program works perfectly fine. BTW, I have Windows XP. This dang internet surfing slowdown is quite annoying! Anyone with the solution? Thanks a bunch!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do two things. First go to http://www.speedguide.net download TCPOptimizr.exe and run it. It's under broadband tools. Make the changes it suggests.

Run msconfig, go to the startup tab and disable whatever you don't need to load at boot time, which is probably most of it. Reboot the PC, say ok to the dialog box and don't return to normal startup if asked.
  • phppoddotcom
  • phppoddotcom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check for troyans.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean trojans
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha love that pic :P time for a hijackthis log me thinks :)
  • websushil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • websushil

Post 3+ Months Ago

DEathblade do you like that picture too. well i nothing seen on that picture but your avatar is cool all the time changing.love avatar both of you.
  • Craig_85

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are multiple reason behind this.

Is it happening only in the secured webpages?

If yes, add those particular web pages to the trusted sites list.

If no, follow these 7 steps:-

1) Click on the "Start" button and select "Run."

2) Type “Regedit” and press enter. This will take you to the editing program for the Windows registry.

3) Use the file menu on the left side of the window to find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings.” Left click the "Internet Settings" folder once to highlight it.

4) In the main window, you may see two items titled “MaxConnectionsPerServer” and “MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server.” If they are not listed, you must create them. Do this by right clicking inside the main window, selecting “New” and then “DWORD Value.” Name this first value “MaxConnectionsPerServer.” Use the same process to create “MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server.”

5) Double click “MaxConnectionsPerServer” and set the value to 14. If you’re using a dial-up connection, set it instead to 6.

6) Repeat this process for “MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server.”

7) Close the registry editor and launch Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect. :lol:

PM for clarrification....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts