Jumpy view

• JaneMN815
  • Born
  • Born
  • JaneMN815

Post 3+ Months Ago

Help! I am new here but desperate! My screen jumps all over the place ..up and down while viewing on the web or using Microsoft Word actually anywhere..the cursor stays in the same position but the view jumps EVERYWHERE. I did purchase a new Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 997DF) a couple of months ago but had been working fine...not sure that is it. Any ideas for me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you done a recent Virus Scan? I believe some of the online virus scanners that are free have been posted around this forum. It sounds similar to what some trojans can do and I'm sure viruses can be made to do the same. Just a quick idea.. Otherwise I'd upgrade your Video Card Drivers. If Virus scan and Video Card drivers doesn't help go through your startup list in Run -> msconfig -> Startup and look out for things like system.com and system.exe, really anything suspicious. Its hard to describe suspicious as its really more a feeling you get in some ways. Look for things with odd names or names that look made to sound important, also files which have 1's instead of l's or similar characters in place of normal ones. Also if it is a trojan it will most likely reside in your Windows directory, Windows\System32 or Windows\System. Be careful of what you disable if anything though, I'm not aware that anything in there is essential to the running of windows but some things are obviously created by windows such as dumprep.
A Hijack This log would be useful to us too, as it'll let us see what processes are running on your computer and allow us to view your startup list and look for anything suspicious or that might be the cause. Most trojans and viruses currently in circulation are picked up by Antivirus scanners though.

Alkatr0z
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking more on the lines of lowering the refresh rate on the advanced setting on the monitor (assuming the screen stays steady long enough for you to get there) If not try safe mode and see if you can lower it there.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea ATNO/TW though I haven't seen that behaviour before but I feel thats more likely the cause than virii. My father-in-law's monitor just makes an annoying high pitched whine that sounds when recorded and slowed down strangely like some of the sounds in Close Encouters of the 3rd Kind(when they're on the mountain I think it was, not the musical part). Am I being contacted by aliens perhaps? ;)

Alkatr0z
  • JaneMN815
  • Born
  • Born
  • JaneMN815

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... I tried the reshresh rate..nothing

tried scanning for virus..none some adaware..deleted

Still the screen is taking on its own behavior scrolling up and down by itself!

I may try a new mouse...wouldn't that be nice and simple?

Will keep you posted!

Thanks all ....Jane
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aahhh....I see. when you said screen, I thought you meant the entire screen. So you're basically saying it scrolls by itself? Yep, the mouse very well could be the culprit. In addition it could also be a stuck or sticky key on the keyboard. I just solved a similar problem last week and it was the keyboard. This morning a user had my look at his machine and every time you moved the mouse over the deskto (without clicking) it would open task manager, display properties, move the task bar around etc without even touching anything. Replacing the mouse solved it. Given my new understanding of your problem, I'd say you are spot on.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

did gettig a new mouse solve the problem?

poly

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts