I just deleted a folder in Outlook Express!

• emailvictim
  • Born
  • Born
  • emailvictim

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please can some one help me to recover a lost folder in OE.
I had created a folder to store mail to a certain address, and
by accident deleted the whole folder instead of the latest
email.

This shouldn't be possible without some warning, but it happened.
Good Old MicroSoft!

If you can help me, please post a reply here.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you just deleted and haven't emptied your trash. Check your trash folder. It should still be there, just undelete it.
  • emailvictim
  • Born
  • Born
  • emailvictim

Post 3+ Months Ago

By trash do you mean my recycle bin or the deleted items folder?
There is nothing in the recycle bin, I have located the .dbx file in the applications data folder but everytime I try to inport it back I get an error message telling me the file is in use by outlook express.

I haven't deleted the data just the folder. I just need to remake the link from the data to the folder.

If you could help me do that please let me know.

Thanks

Rob
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant the deleted items folder in Outlook Express. If you didn't empty that (which I doubt you did), all you have to do is open the Folders view in Outlook Express. so that it looks like an Explorer window with the folder tree.

Click on your deleted items folder. Left click and drag your deleted folder over top of Local Folders and that will restore it. I know this works. I just did it three times.
  • emailvictim
  • Born
  • Born
  • emailvictim

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, my settings are to auto delete 'deleted items' folder on closure of OE. So the folder was deleted. I need to reimport the data but I try to do this but I keep getting an error message.

Anything you can do?

Rob
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

emailvictim wrote:

Please can some one help me to recover a lost folder in OE.
I had created a folder to store mail to a certain address, and
by accident deleted the whole folder instead of the latest
email.

This shouldn't be possible without some warning, but it happened.
Good Old MicroSoft!

If you can help me, please post a reply here.

Thanks

OMG!! I did the same thing yesterday!! I deleted like 20 folders just by moving them to some desktop location....and yea like you said they didn't warm me of anything!!! I'm glad you raised that up..I 'm pissed like hell...I tried to check that recycle bin that ATNO/TW was talkin about, there's nothing in there...THIS IS CRAZY!! :evil:
  • JaneMcAsh
  • Born
  • Born
  • JaneMcAsh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't tell you how many times I've accidently deleted a folder in OE! However, it might be possible to recover the folder.
Close OE
Explore to the Local Settings folder for your identity, then Application Data - Identites. There will be several folders with #'s for names with subfolders Microsoft - Outlook Express. Once you find the one with your e-mails. MOVE, Delete or Rename the Folders.dbx file. The next time you open OE it will rebuild the folders list (and the missing links). You'll have to re-sort everything, but the missing folder should show up.

Good luck

Jane

P. S. This last time I had to first recover the missing .dbx file from the Trashcan... Thank God for Norton!
  • Larry Ludwig
  • Born
  • Born
  • Larry Ludwig

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, my wife just did it right before my very eyes. Accidentally hit delete when on the folder instead of the message, and lost the folder. Got flustered and went to DELETED items... and deleted it again. I am trying to follow the directions here... but unable to find any reference to WINDOWS\Localsettings what so ever. I am logged in as the ADMIN using OE under WIN XP Pro. Those were critical emails and needed before tomorrow night... Pres of the company shows up Friday... sounds like a bad movie script eh?

Thanks
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the Local Settings folder they are meaning Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities
Within that folder there should be folders starting with {
If you only have one mail identity there will only be 1 folder, if you have 2 there will be 2 folders and so forth. Then follow the instructions in JaneMcAsh's message.
Here is an example of the path, mine is..
C:\Documents and Settings\Alkatr0z\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E8CA3DEC-0658-438A-B434-D45B49E3598F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Within the folder Outlook Express are all my .dbx files.

Alkatr0z

PS Hope you get em back in time.
If you can't get them back you can try a program to recover the data directly off your hard drive.. I tend to use Easy Recovery Pro for most things. unfortunately its commercial only I believe. I'm unsure about how they react to files that have only been changed rather than actually deleted. Another note. If the messages have been removed and you can't recovery them by the above methods and you settle on data recovery solutions then you must be careful to use your computer as little as possible and not to install the software to the drive/partition that the lost file is on. If you do you might well overwrite it with the very software your installing to recover it! Preferable use for the computer prior to recovery is not at all to prevent accidental overwriting by Windows.
  • Nannie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nannie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had the same problem-have found the folders-what do I have to do to rename them so I can open them. Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts