Just installed win 2000-my pc doesnt turn off automatically!

• Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Ive just got rid of win 98 on my parents pc and installed win 2000 and all the critical updates and recommended updates for it through the microsoft site. What happens now is that when I choose 'shut down...' it gives me that silly message saying 'It is now safe to turn off your pc'. This means that I have to hold down the power button on the pc for ten seconds to turn the damn thing off. Anyone know how I can sort this out. It is really annoying! :x

Many thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

Your computer supports the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature, but the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACP)-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) is not configured correctly to permit the operating system to turn off the power supply.

During an upgrade of the operating system, Windows does not detect that the computer is ACPI-compliant.

An OEM device driver or service is installed on your computer that is preventing the computer from correctly shutting down.

Your computer is not ACPI-compliant.

Click HERE mate, you should then be able to sort it... :wink:
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's probabley due to a buildup of limescale on your processor.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

NaNoBoT wrote:
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

Your computer supports the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature, but the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACP)-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) is not configured correctly to permit the operating system to turn off the power supply.

During an upgrade of the operating system, Windows does not detect that the computer is ACPI-compliant.

An OEM device driver or service is installed on your computer that is preventing the computer from correctly shutting down.

Your computer is not ACPI-compliant.

Click HERE mate, you should then be able to sort it... :wink:

thanks a lot NaNoBoT - You are absolutely SPOT ON with this answer. I followed the link you gave me and the problem isw now sorted. Many thanks.
  • Medryn
  • Born
  • Born
  • Medryn

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a great answer and I'm glad it solved his problem, I however am having the same problem and visited the same microsoft KB link and it's steps stop at, click update driver... I do this and then say choose one myself, and in the options box the only option I have is standard PC, with or without the 'show compatible hardware' box checked. None of the other articles nor this one say what to do if standard pc is the only option and there is no way to find an acpi choice, I know for a fact my mb and system is ACPI compliant and it is enabled in BIOS, so I don't know what is going on, and I don't have any of the programs they listed installed either, any ideas?

Thanks,
Medryn

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts