Keyboard and Mouse not working... please help!

• dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Logitech Cordless mouse and keyboard and the mouse stopped working. I replaced the batteries, but it still did not work. I restarted the system and my mouse was working but my keyboard stopped. I re-installed the drivers to no avail, now BOTH stopped working. I figured that there was a problem with the wireless reciever or something, so I unplugged them and got the wired keyboard and mouse from my other system - they did not work either.
Here's the kicker - the keyboard works fine in BIOS setup and to select Windows safe mode, but neither worked once windows was loaded, either in safe or normal mode.
So I figured that my WIN2000 drivers were messed up, so I booted from the CD and did an emergency repair, but when it got past all the initial selections (the keyboard worked fine for those) it asked me about something, but I could not make the selection because the keyboard and mouse were not working again.
NOW, when I try to run Windows, it tells me that the repair/install process was incomplete and that I must complete it, but I can't because the keyboard and mouse don't work.
Now, I'm not a computer guru, but I know more than the average Joe. In fact, all of my friends come to me to help with their systems, but this thing has got me frustrated to the point that I want to throw it out the window!! :x Can anyone suggest a solution??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to safe mode. Delete your keyboard and mouse from device manager.

Windows should redetect both on boot and use the generic drivers. Hopefully that will get you to where you can use them again in regular windows mode.

Wierd problem...never seen that one before. Good luck
  • dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69

Post 3+ Months Ago

the keyboard and muse don't work in safe mode either...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry -- I see what you said -- you can select safe mode, but no joy after that, eh? -- hmmm I can see how that has you stumped. Never seen anything like it. I'll check around and let you know if I find anything.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which keyboard and mouse were you trying to use for the repair? The hardwired, or the wireless?
  • dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69

Post 3+ Months Ago

The hardwired, both PS/2.... I just ran out to the store and picked up a PS/2 to USB adaptor. Let's see if that works...
  • dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, no luck! Can't re-install Windows either...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! The only thing I read that was closely associated suggested you might have a prob with the PS/2 ports, but I am clueless why USB wouldn't work.

This is kinda off-the-wall, but I've had it cure strange evils in the past. Shut down and remove your CMOS battery for at least 15-30 minutes. Pop it back in and try again. (use your hardwired keyboard and mouse afterwards and go from there). If it work's you'll need to reset your clock. It's a long shot but it fixed a problem I had once where it wouldn't recognize a hard drive. I have no clue what else to suggest.
  • dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, i'll try that... thanks!
The reason the USB adapter won't work is because it need the drivers and I can't even get that far...
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

so your wireless, ps2 and usb arent working?
since i dont have anytihng else to say, KICK THE BOX!
  • faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a question similar to that ,
i installed a new keyboard, logitech keyboard, and when ever the power is off (like i turn off the main power plug) the next time it boots up , the keyboard froze and it wont work, i have to unplug the usb and plug it again and restart , everytime the power goes off..
and suggestions on how to fix this annoying problem ?
  • dragonrider69
  • dragonrider69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, problem solved....
When all else fails, buy a new hard drive!
I picked up a 200 GIG and was able to rescue all the important stuff from my old drive.
What am I gonna do with 280 gigs???
  • zeroenergy
  • Born
  • Born
  • zeroenergy

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend had the exact same problem as drgonrider69 did.

Is there any other was to fix it other than buying a new hard drive or formatting?

Thanks
  • standin wave
  • Born
  • Born
  • standin wave
  • Loc: Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had similar problem Monday. I was using a Logitech cordless optical mouse (on PS2 port) and wired Mercury keyboard - was opening Outlook Express and everything froze - then couldn't access Safe Mode or BIOS cos keyboard would not work - just as though the port was broken. In the end I also resolved it by powering down and clearing CMOS (battery out and swap a jumper) and now it works OK with a wired mouse. I havent had time to check the cordless mouse. Luckily I have 2 PCs otherwise I would have been stuck!

sw
  • streetskater
  • Born
  • Born
  • streetskater

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK Well I'm just hitting the same issue only in my case it's because I just upgraded my PC arch from an AMD XP CPU on an ABIT mobo to an AMD64 CPU on an ASUS mobo.

XP was able to finally work around the keyboard/mouse problem but Win2K cannot. I did however install another version of Win2K from scratch and the mouse and keyboard are recognized.

So I guess my bottom line question is:
What are the name of the mouse and keyboard drivers--presumable they live in WINNT/System32/Drivers somewhere and if I can ID them I can just copy them from the working Win2K to my legacy Win2K partitions. But so far I haven't benn able to figure out what they're called....The issue should be preety tivial.
  • sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The people of Logitech may know the answer because they're in the "mouse industry."
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows XP Pro and my drivers are as follows:

"Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard"
c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdclass.sys

"PS/2 Compatable Mouse"
c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys

Be sure to let us know if it works!
  • streetskater
  • Born
  • Born
  • streetskater

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm,
Well I discovered it's not as simple as ID'ing the drivers. The real problem seems to be within the system hive of the registry. XP worked out the kinks when I booted in SAFE mode. 2K wasn't having it.

I actually did get one of my WIN2K partitions working by tweaking the BIOS-- setting Auto explicitly to enable for:
1) Legacy USB &
2) PS/2

Then booted in Safe mode--got mouse! and then installed the VIA4in1 from the ASUS CD --which fixed both mouse and keyboard.

But that tweak isn't working for my main Win2k OS. I'm gonna try installing the VIA drivers from the console--I'm not for sure that you can install those drivers from the console but we'll see.

Bottom Line:
The solution is actually trivial --whatever it turns out to be but it's a pain in the ass to try and figure out what's gonna work--and I DO NOT come from the school of reinstalling from ground zero even with a hardware ARCH change from AMD XP to AMD 64--that's just nonsense--and I've got 1.5 terabytes of stuff installed that I'm not about to re-install from zero :-)

Getting the keyboard & mouse is just the first step in fixing the other driver issues--but once I have basic tools working--that's very doable.
  • Airquad19
  • Born
  • Born
  • Airquad19

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully this helps atleast someone.My pc was working fine for over 2 years now.Yesterday I tried to get on and my mouse stopped working.Well today I tried and my keyboard and mouse have both stopped working.I unhooked everything and took the whole pc outside and blew it out with small air compressor.Plugged everything back in.Now the mouse and keyboard are working like new.Wierd,I try and keep it clean as possible maybe blowing it out atleast every 2 months or so.Although it has only been about 2 months I could not believe the amount of dust it had collected WOW....Good luck everyone...
  • Pemby1000
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pemby1000

Post 3+ Months Ago

This disaster is happening to me right now. It started with my graphics tablet and then little by little the drivers became no good for any mouse, keyboard or navigation tool with usb. I have been using the keyboard for the mouse navigation. I am able to use all of this stuff when I load into Ubuntu. Loading new drivers doesn't work, it says that hardware isn't connected. I haven't tried the CMOS thing. I can't redo my whole set up. It's taken me a long time to make sure my system is set up the way I can best access things. I would cry if that didn't look so gay. This problem isn't anything with the actual drivers. Most I see are still there and just wont work. My equipents good too so that ain't it. ANYONE ELSE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS AND HOW IT MAY HAVE HAPPENED?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts