laptop on

• mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
does any body know how long u can keep a laptop on for, I mean is it like 8hours a day or something
thanks
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can leave it on as long as you want, as long as you dont block any air vents, and it has a very nice Hotsink or a little fan (hot sinks are lovely:)), and good Adapter... if you asking about just battery.. that depends on your battery, its size, and age. I have a laptop, its on 24/7 for 3months now and no issues :)

dont let it overheat, altho its never happened to me..
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are talking about the battery can supply voltage to the computer it fully depends on the way you have the computer setup, the type of laptop, the processes you have running, the processor the screen resolution and so on if you have it idle and no screensaver running it will usually last 3 hours on a lithium battery as of I know right now. When I say 3 hours I mean that if the battery is brand new or you have used the dock for the notebook saving the battery life I font the estimated time for the battery on windows to be off so it is hard to say.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

3 to 4 hr. :D
  • mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, no it is not the battery, because basically the life of my battery is 3:30, I'm just asking that if it was running on ac power.
thanks
  • mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey foxy
I just want to ask what is a "Hotsink" and where do you get that from.
thanks
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually hotsinks are installed onto the cpu, to take heat and make it disapear, usually laptop makers install this ontop of the cpu instead of a fan, ppl like dell/Compaq, and you can run that laptop as long as you want... as long as you dont get it to hot.. you can find more info on the web o.o on hotsinks, but it basicly lets the ehat disapear, bla blla bla without a fan.. so if you have a good laptop maker or goodlaptop, and doesn overheat alot(a lil heat isnt bad) keep laptop is a normal room temp, open without it havinh any vents blocked, you can run it 24/7 as long as you want.. but if you wanna start of slow.. do 23, and give it a hr to rest everyday ;) then move up...
  • mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey foxy
I just want to ask, do you know if a toshiba has this feature
thanks
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dosen't the battery life also depend upon what kind of battery that you are using also. (lithium, etc.) Each battery is lets say sort of like it's own entity... Every battery can change with how your operating system reacts to your power settings. How many programs you have open. Are you using an internet connection? These are all factors that you must consider when using a laptop.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes in fact the battery life does depend on the type of battery. Lithium it the most popular at the moment. Nice thing about the dell’s is that you can take the cd drive/floppy drive out and put a second battery so with 2 lithium batteries you can gat 6 hours to 7 hours.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes your laptop should have a HEATsink installed on the cpu. basicly anything over 120 Mhz has a HEATsink one it. like foxy said a heatsink disapates heat, but unlike what foxy said a heatsink is not a substitute for a fan, as a matter of fact mostly anything over 500 Mhz has a heatsink with a fan on top.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ThATKiD' wrote:
yes your laptop should have a HEATsink installed on the cpu. basicly anything over 120 Mhz has a HEATsink one it. like foxy said a heatsink disapates heat, but unlike what foxy said a heatsink is not a substitute for a fan, as a matter of fact mostly anything over 500 Mhz has a heatsink with a fan on top.

That is such a lie, I have compaq laptop with 1ghz! and it doesnt have a single fan.. !!!! on the heatsink.!!!!!
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have found that a p2 400 MHz and below doesn’t require to have a fan blowing air on the sync. Just a beefy heat sync will do. This was only tested by me on Pentium’s I have always ran a fan on the AMD's. Now days you have to have a fan and heat sync if not the processor will fry. I had a heat sync that wasn’t seated right on a p4 2.4 GHz with HT technology and it reached upwards of 193 f in a matter of seconds. Surprised the processor is still working today.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm.. you are talking about laptop? or desktop, well at any rate, I hore my cpu all the time.( i.e 24/7 on, always using it.. doing intensive cpu work, etc). and still works fine after a year :) and hasnt ever made a smell, reduced in quality, infact, I think its gotten faster by a ~100mhz....

r you comparing my laptop CPU to a 400mhz chip? I always assumed laptops were a bit faster then desktop.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking about Desktop processors. I am not trying to correct anyone I know it sounded like i was. Na I ws just giveing input.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts