NT LDR IS MISSING - ERROR

• mbusa
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbusa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Iam getting NT LDR is missing error while rebooting my laptop. I tried with my laptop configuration CD'S. But its not recognizing these cd's when I press F12. I tried with windows 98 boot disk but it's saying disk error. I changed the boot floppy. getting the same error.
I have win2000 professional. Do I need to make 2000 bootable floppy to boot the system. Please suggest me .

Thanks
Busa
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is going to sound like a silly question, but by chance did you create an emergency repair disk? A Windows 98 boot disk isn't going to cut it with Win2K.
  • mbusa
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbusa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I didn't create a emergencry repair disk. So Do you want me to create a win2k bootable ?

thanks
Busa
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you could create one from another machine, but the repair disk on Win2K is going to contain information specific to the machine. However, if it will at least let you get to where you can hit F8 and do a repair, you might be in business. Basically your NT LDR file that is missing is the file that tells Windows 2000 how to boot. I'm guessing that your Master Boot Record is screwed up. You can fix it with "fix mbr", but I've only ever had to do it once, and I know somebody here posted that once at least. I couldn't find it in search here, but I didn't have the time to look too hard for it, and probably won't until later. You can probably find instructions on Google with a search for Fix MBR
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this.....

Format a floppy using a windows 2000 machine...

Find a machine that is at the same service pack and hot fix level.

Copy the main boot files from the boot partition i think they are as follows:-

Boot.ini
config.sys
io.sys
ntldr
msdos.sys
ntdetect.com

Once copied use the floppy to boot off...this should then start win2k again from the c:\ drive if not then a repair using the recovery console would be in order.
  • nalinkj
  • Born
  • Born
  • nalinkj

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think you have a floppy in the drive when you are booting, please remove that or else you will have to reinstall the whole OS. :oops:
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not true.....the files on the floppy link to files on the system and boot partitions...they do not have a reference back to the floppy....maybe things have changed but this works with NT4.0 & Win2k...
  • stone
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or I suppose if your boot sector is mixed up somehow.

Ken

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts