left click copy

• mooseye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mooseye

Post 3+ Months Ago

A week or so ago I was making a folder of pics to burn to disc. When I started doing this and for as long as I have had my computer, when I drag with left mouse button, I would get a copy of what ever I was dragging. About half way through making this folder I noticed that the files were being moved instead of copied. I don't know what I could have hit accidently to make this start occuring. Does anyone know where to reset this so it will copy only on left click and drag and drop?
This was a pain in the pos. since I had gone through several folders and did not know when it started so I could have lost some of my photos if I hadden't noticed it. Instead, I just made a copy of the whole new folder and saved it so I could be sure I didn't loose any pics.
Oh yeah, This is in windows XP sp2 on an HP laptop. Pavillion dv5215us.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you drag it to a different drive, it copies. If you drag it to a different folder, it moves it.

You can copy them to a different folder from a command prompt instead of dragging them.

You would cd to the directory that holds the photos and run
c:\>copy *.jpg c:\path_to_new_folder
press enter.
  • mooseye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mooseye

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is what is strange. I only have one drive and the first 50 or 60 pics I put in the folder I dragged and dropped with the left mouse button and it left them in the folder I copied them from then when I had to rename one of them due to a same name conflict, it started moving them instead of copying them. Go figure. My left button has always copied since I had this laptop until now.
I have loads of files in different folders where I have had multiple files selected and accidently let go of the left button and it would duplicate the files. So now I have a lot of files with the name copy of_file.
  • mooseye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mooseye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also it would be difficlt to copy photos using command prompt since I need to be able to see them to know which ones I want in the folder. I know I can use the right button to copy them but that is such a pain. I just want it back like it was. Waaaaaa!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a solution for you in HELP.

"To copy the item instead of moving it, press and hold down CTRL while dragging."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts