locked out due to domain deletion

• JasB
  • Born
  • Born
  • JasB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I am new and yes I admit that I am feelin like an idiot. Last night i was trying to network 2 computers at my house, one (windows xp pro) was origionally configured to work on my college network domain, so apparently it was using their security policies and stuff, but i was gonna remove that domain and I deleted it and used the default workgroup for the workgroup, rebooted and now i cant get into my computer cause it says that my login and domain are incorrect. I have administrative rights on my computer cause it asked me to verify that when i made that change. Any ideas on how to get back into my account?
It is super important that i get back into this account casue it has job stuff and my resume on it.
Peace
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you turn the PC on you should get a log on screen with 3 boxes:

Username:
Password:
Domain:

If you don't see the 'Domain' there should be an 'Option>>' button for more details, click it and then you will see the Domain box. Instead of logging into the domain you want to change to log into your local PC, choose the option that says "Somename(this computer)".

So this is what you should have:
Username: Administrator
Password: your local admin password
Domain: Something(This Computer)

If you don't know your local admin password then thats a whole other topic, let me know and I'll send you info on how to do it.
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually now that I think about this, how did you get into your PC originally if you weren't attached to the domain? Were you already logging in locally and now you can't?
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's wierd, windows sorta "caches" the domain settings, so it allows you to use domain accounts to log into the computer locally even if you can't reach the domain. But since he deleted the domain, it deletes the domain settings including the ability to log in with the domain account. I hope you have the Administrator password as described by the guy above.

Arcath wrote:
actually now that I think about this, how did you get into your PC originally if you weren't attached to the domain? Were you already logging in locally and now you can't?
  • JasB
  • Born
  • Born
  • JasB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well heres the thing I when login in dont have the domain box available because i went through some settings as described my the Tech guys at the college network and the computer was supposed to be login into the the local machine, I do have administrative rights on my computer, it even validated that i had the rights when i did the domain deletion. Now however its sayin that the user name and domain name isnt right. But when i try to use my administrative account when logging in, it wont let me in. So what doesnt make sense to me is why it made a difference if i wasnt loggin on to a domain that it made a difference when I deleted the domain and joined it to a workgroup. Any Ideas? I am thinkin about doing a reinstall fix of my windows xp but am wondering if i will lose all my files and stuff on that one account?
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you reinstall you will most likely lose everything. There are ways to recover your files still if you know what you're doing. You can take your hard drive and make it a slave to another computer's hard drive to recover your files, then reinstall the OS. But you don't have the Admin password? You tried everything? Cause that would be easiest. The reason you no longer have access is you removed yourself from a domain with a domain account. Once the domain is removed, so is the ability to log into that account. Just for the hell of it, try to log in with the username again. This time, for the username put
domain-name\username
but replace the domain-name with the full name of the domain and username with your username you used before. Try this, I'm not sure it will work though.

JasB wrote:
Well heres the thing I when login in dont have the domain box available because i went through some settings as described my the Tech guys at the college network and the computer was supposed to be login into the the local machine, I do have administrative rights on my computer, it even validated that i had the rights when i did the domain deletion. Now however its sayin that the user name and domain name isnt right. But when i try to use my administrative account when logging in, it wont let me in. So what doesnt make sense to me is why it made a difference if i wasnt loggin on to a domain that it made a difference when I deleted the domain and joined it to a workgroup. Any Ideas? I am thinkin about doing a reinstall fix of my windows xp but am wondering if i will lose all my files and stuff on that one account?
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Well heres the thing I when login in dont have the domain box available

do you see an 'options>>' button? if you do click on it, do you see the domain box now?

Quote:
Now however its sayin that the user name and domain name isnt right

is the error 'invalid domain' or is it an incorrect username/password error?

Quote:
I am thinkin about doing a reinstall fix of my windows xp but am wondering if i will lose all my files and stuff on that one account

Well if you don't repartition or reformat during the install and just reinstall right over the existing data you wont really lose anything. I'm not sure if the data will be automatically available but worst case the user folders under 'Documents and Settings' will be locked to you (the new OS won't have the PID to recognized the security settings, the folders will appear something like S01-34534343-23589543) and you won't have proper security to view the folders. But that is an easy fix, just take ownership and then you will be able to give yourself rights to do whatever you want in the folder.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts