• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, i have a strange problem with my browser firefox at the moment.

Couple of days back it was working fine.. this problem seems to have started since tomorrow. I dont know why but everytime i visit any website like facebook, Orkut, gmail, or even this forum, i now have to sign in every single time and even though i select to remember me i still have to login when i visit next time. Before it used to be fine i never used to have to log in everytime.

What can be the cause of this and how can i fix it ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a known bug in FireFox 3.0.2. Please specify what version you are using. Also, if you are using 3.0.2, you can update to .0.3, it should fix it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually FF is up to version 3.0.8

In Tools | Options | Privacy tab
Make sure "Accept Cookies From Sites" is NOT unChecked. If it is Check it and also Accept 3rd party cookies and choose "until they expire". Those are the defaults. You can always add exceptions. If they are checked, check the exceptions and make sure the sites you are having problems with are not listed.

Close and restart FF
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe what I ment to say was the the 0.3 rush update was done for exactly that! The password/info loss. Eitherway It's reported in the FF forums that it still happens even with the newest versions, so the best bet might be to do as ATNO said.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply guys.

My version is 3.0.8.. And none of the websites are listed in the exceptions.

My passwords and id's are saved but i have to select them and enter them everytime i open the same website.
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well this is probably dumb but...Under tools/options/security theres a check for remember my passwords.. is that checked? Type of junk I forget in my blonde moments hehe.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sania wrote:
Well this is probably dumb but...Under tools/options/security theres a check for remember my passwords.. is that checked? Type of junk I forget in my blonde moments hehe.

heh :lol: , Yeap its checked, but still no luck :( .

Cant figure out why its not keeping me signed in..
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aww man that sucks I'm gonna keep looking maybe ill find something interresting. Keep me posted if you find anything too :)
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK so lets see,

Go in Tools again and select Error Console
If you see an error that looks like this:

_storage is null Source File:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsLoginManager.js Line: 479

let me know
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nop.. But i do see alot of warnings.. like these ones:

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'filter'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://static2.orkut.com/css/gen/base054.css.int
Line: 556
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of curiosity did you install any addons recently? plugins, or extensions? Try disabling them and see if that fixes it. If it does add them back one at a time until you find out which one caused the problem.

I quit messing with addons and extensions except for things like Flash because in my experience they caused more problems than they provided benefits.
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm do you use sandbox?
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I was surfing the issue heres two things I found.

1.Here is a bookmarklet.

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.htm

Open Mozilla, click on 'remember passwords' & drag it to your bookmarks toolbar in FF 3.

When you want FF to remember your login info & password, click that button 1st, then log in. Then you will be asked, in the usual place, if you want FF to remember your password.
For future logins, you may have to end the first character of your username or acct number, & maybe the first letter of your password, but the rest will be filled in.

Thats one way of doing it but its not the best as it also remembers passwords for banks/yahoo hotmail and such unlike FF normaly does. But its entirely up to you.

2. Your Firefox Profile might be glitchy which caused this in the first place. If you want to know if thats the case heres how to do it.

To create an additional (or new) Firefox Profile within the same Admin or User account is not too difficult:

* Go to Start (button) > Run.
* Type firefox -p into the box (note the space).
* Click 'OK'.
* Untick 'Don't ask at startup' in the box that opens.
* Click 'Create Profile'.
* Click 'Next' in the box that opens.
* Type in a preferred name for the Profile.
* Click 'Finish'.

Now, when the Firefox shortcut is clicked, the 'Choose User Profile' dialogue box will open. You'll see both the original and new Profile listed. Select the newly created one and click the 'Start Firefox' button. Firefox will open with the new Profile. Bookmarks can be imported into it either from the original Profile (it hasn't been deleted) or from a backup file.

Using the Profile Manager dialogue box (opened by clicking on the Firefox shortcut), it's possible to start Firefox using the Profile of choice. There is no limit to the number of Firefox Profiles that can be created. There are those who have a number of them with different extensions and customisations. They will all be listed in the Profile Manager. Just a question of selecting which one to use and then starting Firefox.

If the Profile Manager ever gets lost, or doesn't start by using the Firefox shortcut, type firefox -p into the Run box again and click OK. The Profile Manager will show. When the new Profile is working properly ...and if you decide this is the only one wanted:

* Open the Profile Manager.
* Select the old Profile.
* Click the 'Delete Profile' button.
* Choose 'Delete Files'.
* Click 'Start Firefox'.

Firefox will now open with the remaining new Profile each time the Firefox shortcut is clicked without bothering you with the Profile Manager. If you need to access the box after this action, type firefox -p into the 'Start > Run' box. If you want to make a regular Firefox shortcut that always opens the Profile Manager:

* Right-click on the Firefox Shortcut.
* Choose Copy.
* Right-click on the Desktop.
* Choose Paste.
* Right-click on the new shortcut.
* Choose Properties.
* Add 'Space > -p' to the end of the target line so that it goes from this...

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

to this...

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p (note the space).

* Click 'OK'.

All of the above is more complicated to describe than to actually do.

Edit: The Uninstallation procedure in Firefox 3.0 now includes an option to "Remove my Firefox personal data and customisations". Using this option will remove the Profile. So now you can either decide to uninstall Firefox and keep the Profile (which includes bookmarks, extension etc.) or uninstall Firefox and let it remove the Profile (involves losing bookmarks, extensions etc.). Then the re-installation will create a new Profile. This would then be a proper reinstallation of Firefox.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks sonia ill try that and let you know.

To answer ATNO/TW's question, nope i didnt really install any addon recently, my computer shuts down alot due to voltage fluctuations and it think this started happening when my computer was shutdown due to voltage fluctuations and when i turned back on this problem started.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The bookmarklet thing, well at the moment i have to enter the first letter of my username.. it does remember my username password but it doesnt keep me logged in. Like if i close this webpage and if i open it again i will have to login ozzu website again but my username and password will be saved.

For the 2nd one, when i type firefox -p it just opens the firefox browser..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it really sounds like it's a problem with session cookies. So I did a little digging and this post is only from a few months ago, but it looks like a reasonable solution. Try his instructions

http://sillydog.org/forum/sdp_92982.php#92982
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you put in the space as specified?
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see whats missing, im sorry I didnt state it. You need all firefox windows closed for the box to pop up.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeap i did what you said sonia and it seems to be working fine with a new profile.

Is there a way i can transfer my bookmarks and all the saved passwords from the default profile to the new one?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nevermind.. i did what ATNO/TW said and now my default profile is also working fine.

Thanks for the help guys
  • krates
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • krates

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am having the same problem i waiting for new version of firefox to release..
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe glad its all fixed :)
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

deleted

oops... didn't saw it fixed :D
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

reset the Firefox so that all the settings back.

that is the only option to set the Firefox as the the default
settings.

for reset the firefox.
click on tools click options>advanced and reset the firefox.

change the history settings as

click on tools>select the options>click privacy> set the history as 90 days or more whcich you like .

all the information has been saved.
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

check the history browsing . you selected the history as 1 days so that the history removed after zero or one days and your log in page has been removed . you can try to reset the Firefox . after resetting the Firefox your problem should be resolved because all the settings set as default.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok last time i had this problem i deleted the cookies.sqlite file and then it started working fine..

Now im having the same problem and i checked in the firefox folder, there is no cookies.sqlite file... :S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts