• aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Computer is:

Emachine T3506
Windows XP Professional SP3
Celeron D 3.2GHz 533FSB 512 KB L2 Cache
120GB HD 111GB available 30GB free
1.5 GB RAM

When I click a shortcut (desktop or Start menu) to open an app like any MS Office 2003 app, any browser, etc. it takes at least 20 to 30 seconds for the app GUI to appear. When the GUI appears it still takes long for any action clicked to initiate and appear. Clicking a desktop folder opens the folder immediately.

I've done online and offline virus scans, malware scans, rootkit scans, etc. all negative. I've deleted the last few programs that I
installed. For deleting programs I use Revo followed by RegSeeker to eliminate all registry items. I've tried system restore. I've done a
non-destructive reinstall changing the computer from Windows Home to Windows XP Pro.

Also, on this machine, I'm using Outlook Express. OE
opens very rapidly but opening an email takes long. Don't need to move up from this XP computer since I've got several machines with OSs up to Windows 8 Pro. But this machine has me stumped. I'm going to try to evaluate the RAM to see if there's a problem. Looking for any other suggestions as to what to try next.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Houdy.
There is nothing wrong with xp. What it sounds like is something is using up all your resources.

To take a look at this do this.

CRTL-ALT-DELETE -> Go to Task Manager->Processes(TAB)->Click the CPU text twice to see what is taking up everything.

This will help narrow it down for you.
  • aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply. That was one of the first things I did and I found that Firefox, especially the sandbox, was using a lot of resources and causing the computer to stop intermittently when the CPU was at 100%. I have several browsers available so I deleted Firefox but that didn't really help the problem After I do some RAM tests I'll start deleting programs to see if there isn't some sort of software conflict. Thanks for the try though.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering you only have 1.5gigs of ram is NOT alot. I still think that maybe one of you big issues. ALSO check and make sure your hard drive is below 20% full as this can cause the computer to run slow.

Also think of it this way. It maybe was a farrie back in the day but now its a pinto comaired to newer computes.. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts