Losing system audio. (Revisited - still an ongoing problem)

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has been a bit of an annoyance, but, I'm working right along then,seemingly at random, all of a sudden I no longer get system audio sounds on Win98se. I've checked drivers and they seem to be good. It's really only system audio and only affects standard system sounds and ICQ sounds (all of which I believe are wav files).

Doesn't affect anything else. CD's, Media Player, Quick Time, WinAmp, etc...everything else still plays audio just fine.

Rebooting takes care of the problem. Any thoughts on what's happening? Like I said it's just an annoyance, but I'd like to correct it if possible. I'm using SoundMAX Digital Integrated Audio and as stated the drivers are fine.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used 98se for years and i still cannot fiqure it out. I have had so many problems with it. I am so happy i have xp now. What exactly are you doing when you lose it?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wish I could tell you Cuerock. I have paid close attention for the last month. Sometimes it's after a java applet runs. Just after I posted above I lost it again and I only had my browser open. It's so inconsistant I just can't pinpoint it to any one thing. Eventually I'll upgrade the OS, but for now it works very efficient for me except for this.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had the same problems with Javas using 98se. I think that it is athing with that. Javas will load and about 5-10 minutes into it it just freezes on me. Thank God those days are over!
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use to have that problem a few years ago, someone gave me a file to download and it fixed it. I'll try to find that file for you, it was on the 98 cd.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, but no need really. I got rid of that PC! :D
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's always a great option.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's goofy. I know those lock up problems. Don't laugh at me but the one computer I still use primarily for storage is a P150 -- Java stuff would shut me down almost in a heartbeat. I don't even think it was Win98 so much as the slow processor. And Flash? Forget it (although I still have Flash MX installed on it -- I don't know how I didn't just pick it up and throw it against the wall!). I've tweaked it as best I can and given what I use it for it still runs 24 and 7 and stores most of my data files.

The weird part on this computer which is a 1.1 ghz Intel Celeron is that this problem completely inconsistant. If I could pinpoint what is going on when it happens, I could fix it...but it's just a friggin random thing. The last time it happened all I did was just open a new browser window, and there wasn't any Java on it. *shrugs.

Oh, well...I'll live with it. I do reboot on occaision anyway just to clear the system hooks. No biggy. Thanks.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i did have a pentium 2. That is like a child reading an adult book! I am happy with the PC I have now nothing like an upgrade. Windows 98se does have alot of quirks though. It is not that bad but it is just a hassle to me i am not that patient. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm reviving this question as it is still ongoing for me. I've become nearly convinced that this has something to do with J2RE. It has been at such random times that it's been hard to pinpoint.

Here's a rundown:

When this happens, I lose all system audio sounds (which I know are wave files). For example, like with IE, when you click a link, you'll hear the "click" sound. Another with ICQ I know all those sound files are wav files, and when this problem occurs, I have no more sound on ICQ.

Now if I try to play a CD, or run an mpg or something in Media Player, I get that sound just fine. I'm using a SoundMAX audio card and when this problem is happening, I can run the test feature there and it works fine.

Here's what just happened.
I had roughly four windows of IE open. I've had as many as 30 and still no problems. But earlier I visited the weather channel website. One of the pages was running a Java Applet, and I have IE set to use Sun's J2RE vs. M$'s Virtual Machine for Java.

So, that initiates J2RE. Now, the sound doesn't disappear immediately in most cases, and it didn't in this one either. In reviewing a link from another post, I was surprised to discover I had no sound from http://www.2advanced.com/flashindex.htm (which I normally don't have any problems with Flash audio). So I made an assumption that the audio there is a wav file. In addition, all my system audio had disappeared again.

Now, going into troubleshooting mode, I closed all open browser instances, which I know also closes J2RE, and closed ICQ -- so nothing is open. Restart IE -- and system audio is back. Go to 2advanced, and I can here their audio now.

Here's the kicker. That doesn't always work. In most cases I have to log off and log back in to restore system audio. And in extreme cases I sometimes have to do a full reboot (all though the log-off/ login is usually sufficient).

----------------------------
Now, I'm pretty convinced if I switch back to VM, this problem will disappear, but I would prefer to solve this, because I like J2RE better.

Anyone know anything about any bugs with J2RE regarding this?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

could it be some existing JS that is stored in your cache? Maybe if you removed that you would not have to reboot. If so that still does not solve the problem though
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, here's the kicker. I just made the effort to make another careful observation again. I just lost audio again, just prior to reading your post (I think -- or immedieately afterward was when I noticed.). All I was doing prior, was I had three IE windows open and this time J2re was not active. The only thing I was doing that had to do with audio was viewing the 2advanced.com site and unflux.com site. Next thing I know system audio is gone again.

Close IE. Reopen. Audio is back.

It's so random I just can't put my finger on it. Didn't have to log off this time to get it back, just close and reopen IE.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it is random like that, I would think that it would have to be a hardware problem, which is weird because you are playing cds and other media fine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know. That's what's frustrating me. It just seems to be system wav files that are affected.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update. This just happened again, less than two minutes ago. J2RE was not active or enabled. I have 7 browser instances of IE open at the moment and two instances of ICQ Instant messages to two contacts, although at the moment my ICQ status is disconnected. However that doesn't stop the ad rotations in ICQ. I'm using ICQ 2003b and to the best of my knowledge there are no more current releases than what I have. I went to view a post at OZZU and all was well. I went to view another post and system audio was gone again. That was the only thing I did that changed *sighs.

The only things that happened was I went to view a different post at OZZU, and there is a possibility that the ad rotations changed on ICQ.

Closed everything, reopened IE -- no system audio.
Went to control panel sounds and multimedia. Tested all the wav files. No audio. Went to the soundmax panel and tested the audio -- it was working fine. Logged out (not reboot - just log out - log back in) - audio back to normal. It's just the system wav files that go belly-up on me.

I know it seems like I'm ranting about this, but I'm determined to solve it.

//Added notes. I've used this sound card in this computer for over a year with DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98se, NT4, Win2k, NT Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 server and Redhat 8 operating systems and never had a problem with system audio.. The only thing that changed was a reformat and install of this Win2K OS. This is the same disk I used to install at work. Both machines have the identical service packs and windows updates, both run the same version of ICQ. I believe the sound cards are different, but I can't recall off the top of my head what the sound card is at work.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of curosity, how long has your computer been on at the times that these random losses occur? If it has to do with an overheating issue, then i dont know exactly if maybe wave files are more delicate than other sound files, or maybe they go through a different channel. It may end up being a deffect on the board. I have once, and only once, had a faulty mother board that would randomly re-boot my computer every once in a while after it had been on for a while. I ended up discovering some sort of short that was causing it, buyt was never able to exactly pinpoint the issue.

I dont think that your problem is actually a hardware issue, but it may be. Just an idea.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't shut this one down. I'm a firm believer that it's better for the hard drives to just leave them on. Here is another example. When I left a bit ago, I had audio. When I came back (roughly forty-five minutes later) and looked at this post I had no audio (system audio that is). This is the frustration. It is totally random. At the moment I have 4 IE browser instances open. ICQ is online, but I was in away mode for at least the last forty minutes or better. The only thing that would have happened since my stepping away from the computer and me coming back is ad rotations on ICQ. So now my question becomes, how can an ad rotation on ICQ nix my computer's system audio... Oh well...I'll have to deal with it tomorrow or the next day again. It's off to bed for me now.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with leaving the computer on. I taken a lot of grief from some of my co-workers who think its about the dumbest things they have heard of. Apparently they think the computer needs to "rest." Oh well. Im wondering, this problem has just started, correct? It has begun to get hot outside, and was still wondering if it has to do with an overheat. I have one of those alcoves in my desk for a computers CPU, but dont use it because the computer gets way too hot if it sits in there for too long. I discovered this winter that I could keep it in there, but as summer came, it began to screw up. I dont know much about the sound card that you have, but if its as tempermental as my video card is to heat, it may be plausible for this to be caused by that. If the CPU is kept in an alcove, i would check the BIOS for the temp reading, then take it out and let it run for a while, then check again. Again, this may be nothing, but it may be somthing different than what you have already tried.

GL
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Completely understand your post Smokenjoe, and I do understand about heat. I don't overclock my computers and have changed nothing that should be physically affecting it in regards to heat.. This one sits in my apartment in the kitchen where it has been for a year. (You can see a picture of it in this post http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/post-your-workspace-t18670.html - it's actually hard to see but it sits in the bottom left of the desk). And before you ask, I also seldom if ever use my oven. The problem isn't recent. I think I installed this OS sometime around November and I have been having this problem since sometime around December. I am considering your advice, but I can find nothing hardware-wise or physically related to justify it as a heat related problem. This computer has sat in the same spot doing the same thing for a year.

And again, I note that it only nixes wav files. MP3's and other embeded audio as well as CD's play just fine (unless the CD is a program using wav files for audio - I just noticed recently that flash pages using embedded wav files don't play either whereas flash pages using MP3's do.)

This is not the hardest problem I've tried to solve but at the moment it's ranked number two and pushing on number one.

//- edit - for the record - after looking back at the beginning date of this post, it seems I have been having this problem since October.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is just a shot in the dark but could it be a IRQ conflict between the modem and the integrated sound? It doesn't seem likely since wav files seem to be the only thing affected. Might be worth a look...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did think of that JrzyCrim, but no conflicts and I just double checked (and at the moment have no system audio and still no conflicts.)

Under sound, video and game controllers I have
Audio codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Video Codexs

Under Audio Codecs in Properties I have
IMA ADPCM Audioe CODEC
Microsoft ADPMC AudioCodec
Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
Microsoft GSM6.10 Audio CODEC
DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM) Audio CODEC
Ihacm.acm
msg723.acm
Indeo audio software
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Microsoft PCM Converter

I won't even enumerate what's under Legacy Audio Drivers unless you need them...too many there.

Legacy Video Capture Devices -- none listed in properties

Media Control Devices
(MCI) CD Audio
(MCI) Microsoft Video for Windows
(MCI) Midi Sequencer
(MCI) Sound
mciqtz32.dll

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio Properties
Audio Devices
(sub) - Sound Max Integrated Digital Audio
MIDI devices and Instruments
(sub) WDM-based device
Mixer Devices
(sub) SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Video Codecs
Cinepak Codek by Radius Inc.
Indo codec by Intel
Indeo video 5.10
Microsoft Video Codec v1
Microsoft RLE Codec
Microsoft Video1
msh261.drv
msh.263.drv
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, :scratchhead: This is a tough one...

You might check for a DMA conflict. Device manager/properties/DMA. I don't know how many DMA channels SoundMax uses but there should not be any other device using the same channels.

If I have any other ideas, I'll let you know.

Edit: When you do lose sound, is the wave slider on your volume control muted? If so, that might make it easier to find a known solution.

Cheers,
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I think that I may have stumbled across somthing interesting, but first, I need to know how you connect to the internet. You have said that this problem happens a good amount of the time when you are connected, so i searched on some other sites for the same type of problem, and i sorta found somthin, but its very specific. Do you use dial-up or cable/DSL/T1?

Some of the lingo that they use I dont exactly understand, but I"m hopin you do. Ill just cut&paste. Basically this guy wrote in to another help forum, describing that when he connected to the internet, his "tp701" (I looked this up and it seemed to be a type of Kingston RAM) would get locked up with .wav files. This is what the helper said:

The TP701's sound system and built-in modem use the same DSP
(kinda like MWAVE, but different - it boots internally
independent of the OS so you don't have to jump through hoops
installing drivers). If you're using the modem, the DSP
sometimes does not have enough processing power left over to
successfully emulate a Soundblaster. That's why you're having
problems.

Buy a PCMCIA or external modem.

I dont know exactly what PCMCIA is, and Ive gotta get in bed. I hope that maybe this can shed a little light on this problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
Hmm, :scratchhead: This is a tough one...

You might check for a DMA conflict. Device manager/properties/DMA. I don't know how many DMA channels SoundMax uses but there should not be any other device using the same channels.

If I have any other ideas, I'll let you know.

Edit: When you do lose sound, is the wave slider on your volume control muted? If so, that might make it easier to find a known solution.

Cheers,

Yeah, tell me about it. It's a bugger for sure. Couldn't find your path to DMA where I thought it was. This machine is Win2K OS. Checked System Info for DMA properties. The only two listed were Direct memory access controller channel 4, and Standard floppy disk controller channel 2...both show status of OK.

Smokenjoe - I use Comcast cable broadband. FYI definition of PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association) is here:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCMCIA.html
P.S. I haven't used a modem in close to three years.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Yeah, tell me about it. It's a bugger for sure. Couldn't find your path to DMA where I thought it was. This machine is Win2K OS. Checked System Info for DMA properties. The only two listed were Direct memory access controller channel 4, and Standard floppy disk controller channel 2...both show status of OK.

Oh, sorry. I thought that machine was running 98se. :oops:

Well, I'm off to bed. I'll definitely think about your problem some more. I've got plenty of free time this week. Plus I do enjoy troubleshooting, although it is more of a challenge when you can't physically touch the machine. :)

Smokenjoe: I think the 'tp701' is an IBM thinkpad which makes sense since laptops are usually where pcmcia cards come into play.

Edit: ANTO: Is your sound integrated on your MOBO or is it a sound card?

In any event, you might try shuffling around your PCI cards. Particulary your sound (if it's not integrated) and your NIC (or whatever is applicable). Sometimes this can resolve possible conflicts.

This time, I'm really off to bed. :lol:

Cheers,
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Integrated. There are no conflicts I'm aware of. I'm off to bed too.

Hasta manana
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well, I geuss that didnt help much. I dont really have any other advice, but I'm gonna keep lookin. GL with it, and sorry I couldnt help much.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe,

Believe me, I take every piece of advice into consideration. I'm fairly good at troubleshooting stuff like this, but this one just has me stumped. I appreciate your efforts.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, at least I dont feel like a total failure!
:lol: :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts