low level defrag - vista

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

looking for a low level defrag for vista. i did some google searching but found nothing i would be 100% on.. can anyone recommend one
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is a low level defrag? Either you defrag or you don't.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
What is a low level defrag? Either you defrag or you don't.

well if do you know what a low level format is? if you do it is the same thing but defraging.

a low level defrag if a program that will run off boot and defrag all files. a normal defrag you see in windows dose the same thing but cant move files that are in use. if you have ever used a defrag program with a view of what the drive looked like:
(the green is system/unmovable/in use files)
what i want to defrag is the system/unmovable/in use files.
to do this you cant be booted in to windows.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure I'd have used the term low level. Not very accurate actually. Especially since you can't even low level format contemporary hard drives anymore. Boot-time Defrag is actually what it's called.

Check Diskeeper 2009. It has a boot-time defrag even in the home edition which is only $29.99 (free trial if you want to check it out). And I'm nearly certain Vista is supported.

http://www.diskeeper.com/Diskeeper/home ... -home.aspx

If that doesn't work for you try searching boot time defrag or boot time defrag vista
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "unmovable files" are usually only the pagefile and hibernation file, which are already contiguous anyway. I doubt if you'll get any benefit out of moving those to one corner of your disk; it's probably not worth the effort.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks ATNO/TW.
i was using the wrong term.

@ casablaca
moving system files and files in use by the OS that are fragment would help the system go just a little faster..

it is not a big deal anyway, just want to get all the juice out of my new monster.

it is set up as 2 650gb drives in raid 0 for now. then i am going to pick up some ssd drives and raid 0 them.
i am really happy on how fast games and programs load. but windows still boos slow.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a slow boot, it's because there are too many things loading into memory. Run msconfig, go to the startup tab, uncheck most of the garbage, click apply, reboot & click ok.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya the msconfig stuff was done the first day, unless i add something that starts on start up.

i have done all the normal edits and changes to make the pc boot faster and run faster. i think it is a issue with the raid0. once the pc boots the drive is reallllllly fast just start up it seems like there is no boot from the raid 0 at all.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts