Making wireless faster

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to make wireless connection to the internet faster other then having the antenna closer to the router or less technologies connected to the connection? My current connection is driving me up the wall!
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

The things I know you can do apart from those listed:

1) update firmware, sometimes a new firmware to your router can close bugs and possible even make changes that improve performance. Most people that I know never update their firmware but most manufacturers has patches. So make sure you have the latest firmware installed for your router.

2) If you live close to other people make sure none is gaining access to your router and uses it to surf the net. WPA encryption can help you achieve that, WEP encryption can help you avoid "normal people" but there are hacking tools to bypass WEP. So go for WPA and a strong router login password.

3) If you live in the woods where no one else lives and there is no risk of someone uses your connection then you might consider disable the encryption all together. This should result in a minor performance boost (but having someone else use your internet will directly make that boost go away.)

4) (my best advice), don't use wireless unless needed. Get a cable. Wireless slows your connection down no matter what you do, air is just a slower way of transporting information then cable. Most wireless routers lets you use a cable and investing 10$ in a cable could be worth it.

5) There are further tweaks that you can probably do to your router. But you have to look at the settings in it, disable stuff you don't need and use the most optimal wireless wavelength. For instance instead of sending at 802.11b maybe change to 802.11g or whatever that is said to be faster.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many bars do you have on your connection and whats the speed difference over wireless compared to a wired connection?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 4 out of 5 bars and on a wired connected pages load within 1 second and they loaded within 1 second when I was like a yard or so from the router last time, and now the load time is like 5 seconds and sometimes even more. Youtube doesn't stream well anymore... a 1 minute video on youtube at 360p and it takes me like 2 minutes+ waiting for the video to load.

I can't do cable (Unless I get like 500 feet of cable) and I don't think that it would look good in the house. I guess we could drill a cable from upstairs to downstairs...
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

what wireless connection are you using A/B/G/N?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

N
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

and its still slow? make sure you are using n and its not default to anything else in your settings.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have some little tools around the house that i use like USB wifi boosters that you plug the USB box in and boosts the wifi signal in the computer using a separate device. All plug and play too, many hours of war driving using wifi boosters.

Make middle man points in the house and backyard to rebound the signal.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts