Mapped drive icon appears over desktop icons {solved}

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows 2000 SP4

Having an issue on one computer where an image of a mapped drive icon appears overtop all the icons in the "All Users" desktop. System and icons in individual user accounts are unaffected. I know this occurred during a time when domain access was unavailable and users were logging into the local machine. However, I don't know why it happened or how to get rid of them and I'm coming up empty on searches. Deleting the shortcut and recreating it has no affect. The drive picture reappears. When viewing the icon in the shortcut properties it appears normal. The icon paths are fine and open the program normally. It's mostly just an annoyance.

Here's a screen shot of what they look like
Attachments:
strange_icons.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put a finger on what might have been the cause, but still haven't fixed the icons.

Apparently while we were without wireless and a domain controller the users had to logon to the local machine. It appears there were some remnants of Netware left over from when we were on a Novell network. At login they were prompted for a Preferred Novell server when there was one. Checked the network connections properties and discovered and removed leftover Novell Client for Windows 2000 from the properties. That got rid of the preferred server prompt at local login, but not the drive icon on the desktop.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well here's how I resolved this.

even after uninstalling the Novell Client, there must have been some remnant in the registry still hanging on. So I unjoined the domain. I was hoping that would be enough but it wasn't.

What finally fixed it was booting to safe mode, then after backing up my entire registry went through and deleted every key that had the word novell or netware in it that could be deleted (some couldn't be deleted and were apparently settings Microsoft includes in the default registry).

Anyway that was enough to do the trick. Hope it helps someone in the future.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts