Master Boot Record Error

• Slushie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slushie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
Someone please help. I can't even go on my computer anymore, I am writing this from my old 98 computer. Whenever I turn on my HP Pavilion 725n desktop, it says.

Master Boot Record Error
Press Any Key

Then I press a key and it says,

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key.

Now, my HP computer does XP re-installs differently then other computers. When I bought it they didn't give me a XP Home CD, but rather it had XP already installed, and made me make 6 recovery CD's.
The Hard Drive is also partitioned for recovery.
The hard drive is about 75 gigs, and 5 of those gigs are partitioned soley for HP recovery, and when I re-install windows, I use files from that partition, as well as the 6 CD's I made.
So, when it gives me that error, I inset CD 1, and it lets me format the partition that doesn't have the recovery info on it, and then re-install windows.
Now, I have done that, and still, every time I turn on my computer it gives me that error message.
What can I do? How Can I tell it to boot into Windows.
This is just my guess, that it may be trying to boot into the HP Recovery Partition and not the User Partition, which it should.
But that's just a guess.
I have a boot disk that will get me to a command line, so I could copy a new Master Boot Record, or add some boot program to fix this, but I don't know what to do.

Also, if this means anything, the HP Recovery partition is under /dev/hda1
and the user partition is under /dev/hda2.

Can someone please help me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

can u spare losing all the files on the big partiton...lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may work. Fortunately I've never personally had to try it in this type of situation, but I know roughly how it should work.

Insert your Windows install CD (at the moment I'm assuming this is XP, although you didn't state such yet)

Follow the prompts untill you get to the the point to repair or enter the recovery console or something close to that (I'm going on memory here) and select the option for the recovery console. Should be the letter "R" to select it.

At the prompt type "fixmbr" (without the quotes).
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

didnt she say she didnt get a windows install cd?

i guess your talking about the windows recovery cds she made
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes - that's why I said I didn't know if it would work. I don't know if it will let you get to the recovery console. However, if she can boot to a command prompt she could try it there. It sorta depends on if fixmbr is on the boot disc.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

what does that command do anyways?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

In theory, it fixes the master boot record.
  • semko
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • semko

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slushie wrote:
Hello,
Someone please help. I can't even go on my computer anymore, I am writing this from my old 98 computer. Whenever I turn on my HP Pavilion 725n desktop, it says.

Master Boot Record Error
Press Any Key

Then I press a key and it says,

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key.

Now, my HP computer does XP re-installs differently then other computers. When I bought it they didn't give me a XP Home CD, but rather it had XP already installed, and made me make 6 recovery CD's.
The Hard Drive is also partitioned for recovery.
The hard drive is about 75 gigs, and 5 of those gigs are partitioned soley for HP recovery, and when I re-install windows, I use files from that partition, as well as the 6 CD's I made.
So, when it gives me that error, I inset CD 1, and it lets me format the partition that doesn't have the recovery info on it, and then re-install windows.
Now, I have done that, and still, every time I turn on my computer it gives me that error message.
What can I do? How Can I tell it to boot into Windows.
This is just my guess, that it may be trying to boot into the HP Recovery Partition and not the User Partition, which it should.
But that's just a guess.
I have a boot disk that will get me to a command line, so I could copy a new Master Boot Record, or add some boot program to fix this, but I don't know what to do.

Also, if this means anything, the HP Recovery partition is under /dev/hda1
and the user partition is under /dev/hda2.

Can someone please help me.

Unfortunately if that doesn’t work you will have to re-install Windows, that cannot be done without an installation cd. I presume that if you have a RAID controller on your MB you haven’t most probably installed the proper driver for it, it has to be installed during Windows installation not after that. You can also check in your BIOS settings which is the primary boot device.
  • grannygeek
  • Born
  • Born
  • grannygeek

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an HP m7060n. It had this problem almost from day one. I took it back to BestBuy and they never really fixed it. I passed it on to my son, and it has started acting up again. Yesterday, I went to hp.com and downloaded a BIOS fix. That seems to have taken care of it. Too bad it took so long. The computer is maybe 6 years old. It's running XP Home.

If that hadn't worked, I was going to replace the hard drive since it runs well once it's on, and in my book MS will never have a more stable and reliable system than XP.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts