MBR error on HP pavilion a1130n

• avens37
  • Born
  • Born
  • avens37

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having a problem with my HP pavilion a1130n, every time I boot it I hear an unusual clicking noise coming from the tower and I get a message saying ''MBR Error please insert boot disk and press enter''. My PC came with XP installed and I don't have any boot disk with it. Is it possible my HDD needs replacing or is it more? I have no problem losing my data, but I want to use my PC as I usually do. I'm not sure how this started, it was working perfectly, then I turned it off, went out for dinner and when I came back I got this message. I didn't install any new hardware, software, or download anything that could've caused this.

I'm thinking I should just replace the hard drive, but I don't want to go and do that and have the problem persist.

Thanks in advance for any replys and I apologize for the wall of text - Avens37
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like the drive is going. You can create a boot disk and try to fix the MBR or you could move the drive to another machine, if you have one, to see if you still hear the noise.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your computer have a floppy drive? If so, is there a floppy disk in it? If so, remove the floppy and reboot and report what happens.
  • avens37
  • Born
  • Born
  • avens37

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Does your computer have a floppy drive? If so, is there a floppy disk in it? If so, remove the floppy and reboot and report what happens.

no, i don't have a floppy drive only a CD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive, both empty. no USB devices are plugged in either.

i'm going to try moving my HDD to a different machine and see what happens - thanks for responses.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts