Microsoft Outlook 2000 email - error message

• micki
  • Born
  • Born
  • micki
  • Loc: MILWAUKEE, WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone! I'm a new system administrator, so please bear with me....one user here constantly receives error messages whenever she emails (from either her desktop or laptop), this error message is received: nnorcross@redirector.palm.net' on 8/23/2004 1:12 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<mail.ofr-inc.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 <nnorcross@redirector.palm.net>... User not known>

We use Microsoft Outlook 2000 and I've looked everywhere I can possibly find. The 'nnorcross@redirector.palm.net' is a former employee. We do not know why this one person's email was ever forwarded to nnorcross in the first place. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'll be so very grateful for your help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I'm going to have to infer a couple of things here.
I take it that your users work email address isn't redirector.palm.net ?
and also that you have no exchange server or are using sendmail or similar on another server to relay your mail about?

oh hold on how are your laptops and desktops sync'd ?

anyway the palm redirector service is used for fowarding email to/from a palm pilot.

the two places I would look on outlook 2000 for add-ins would be
tools -> services for anything that should not be there
and
tools -> options -> choose the other tab -> advanced options

and check the COM add-ins and the add-in manager for odd looking programmes.

let me know how you get on

Chris
  • micki
  • Born
  • Born
  • micki
  • Loc: MILWAUKEE, WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are awesome! I found the file that contains the erroneous address. It is a sync file for this person's palm one. The network name is listed as this 'redirector.palm.net' address. Now, I wonder if I should delete this line from the file.
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Micki, glad to be of some help.

Personally I'd be tempted to delete the whole snyc file and in addition try and remove the programme from the computer as it sounds like a security risk.

In addition (and depending on your paranoia level !) You might want to try and find out if this person had legitimate reasons for copying every mail from some-ones laptop and desktop to themselves, and check its not happening on anyother computers.

Cheers

Chris

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts