XP Minimizing Problem

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a fan of PC Games..but I can't seem to get anywhere in the game when every 5 mins the game minimizes to the system tray for no apparent reason. I can still click on it and return to the game...but it gets SO annoying. I've tried exiting out of all the "extra" processes and programs...didnt seem to make a difference. Any ideas about this one?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your hitting the windows hot key by accident then the current program gets minimized and you go to the desktop (I don't know what it's technical name is, the key between ALT + CRTL) Other than that the program shouldn't minimize during play.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

no...im not a complete idiot. I have read that other people have the same problem...but no fixes. It just minimizes for no reason...im not pressing anything for it to happen...i think it may happen from pop ups or something.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

well do you see pop up ads when it does minimize?
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

no i don't...I was just saying thats what it seemed to be. It will just minimize out of the blue...cant figure it out.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this happen exactly 5 minutes into the game? or does that vary? Also have you noticed any other patterns for when it happens besides the time?
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

also if you hit Alternative + Tab it will minimize...
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok..thanks for the replies...I'm really not an idiot with computers..i built my own. No im now hitting alt+Tab...im pretty sure its popups doing it. I have a popup blocker so it blocks any popups..but u still get the "window change" effect...if u know what i mean by that. I even tried turning the internet off..but it still happend..what could it be...i dont think it happens in a timed interval..sometimes it does it 2 times in a row..sometimes 1 time every 5 mins...sometimes it goes for 15...so im guessing its popups. With that being said...what program can i get to block popups before they reach my desktop..that would prevent the window from changing. thanks.
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may have a parasite...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it sounds like you have spyware on the system. I would download a spyware checker or go through your add/remove programs and remove the spyware if you can find it. I know much spyware will automatically throw up popups, and it does not matter or not if you are connected to the internet. Usually if you aren't connected the popup will still take place, but it just won't load the stuff in the popup. Highly annoying. Anyway to me it sounds like that might be your problem.
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep thats the same thing that was happening on my computer. Now I have about 600 (approx.) quartentined (i cant spell) viruses. I real need to get that spyware thingy for the pops though..
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

try Spybot's Search and Destroy -- great app

you can find it here for free - http://www.cnet.com
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh thankyou thank you
  • genthree
  • Born
  • Born
  • genthree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah yes....others have this problem too. And it is frustrating being told either to update your drivers or stop hitting buttons on your keyboard. I have 2 XP pc's networked at home. One does just this....paly for anuthing between two and five minutes, and the game minimizes to the tray, and goes to desktop. Occassionally it exits altogehter. This game is being plyed using mouse only, not keyboard, and the pc does it with everything from Empire earth, to older kiddys games. Once before, I updated the nvid graphics driver, and it seemed ok for ages. Then, when it started doing it again, I did a clean instal., and was ok for a while. No wonder I don't paly games. There is no spyware (spybot checked), and no viruses. Nothing appeard to be interfering and nothing in the administrative tools to indicate a prob. It appears from checking out various sites others have this problem, but no fix or real reason? ANY ideas?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your Windows updates. From what I have been lightly reading, the problem may be related to games that use Active X. I've been doing a lot of Windows updates around work and I know I recall seeing a couple Active X updates.

This search at Google provided about 35,000 results :
xp + minimize + games

Many seem to have exactly the same problem. I'm guessing with a little reading, you'll probably find a solution in the first dozen or so pages. Other answers are the same as you've been getting already re: spyware and such.

Hope that helps.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would really recommend lavasoft ad-aware
if you get it install it then run webupdate to get the latest file list

im at school
be home latter
  • genthree
  • Born
  • Born
  • genthree

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D
Well I actually found a fix!!!! (Wish I could say I worked it out myself....with the title 'newbies assistant..oh well) . It is indeed a problem caused by windows updates. Unfortunately there appear to be quite a few, inc self with this problem, that is caused by this. Would have never guessed it, even though I have built numerous systems up. I found a website called dragons firing squad, where this problem was being discussed, and a character called dragon confirmed that the offending updates are....Windows hotfix KB828035, kb823182, kb824141 and kb825119. With these updates uninstalled, (ignore MS's warnings about 'if you uninstal this other ones won't work etc) , rebooting each time, I successfully played for an hour and a half last night with no probs at all. Before then, it would have done the minimizing thing 20 times! So all is well. One character said they had emailed MS with this info. mmmm. Hope this gets you going too!! all the best. Ahhh
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, that's excellent news. thanks for posting the fix! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ditto - Thanks for the fix. Everything I was reading indicated the updates were the culprit. Glad you got it.
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys i just jopined this forum i was wondering how i can fix that problem because i have the exact same problem on both my computer. I have XP and 98. I read what the guy said about how to fix the problem but i don't get it. :oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add Remove Software.

This shows any software that you installed on your computer, including Windows updates. Find the ones that he refered to, click them, then click uninstall. (They may not have the KB in front of the number, but the numbers should match if you have all the updates installed.)
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

the problem is that i don't have any updates except for
intenet explorer 6 sp1
windows media player 9 series
what did he mean by updates like getting newer patches for the operating system (98)
:(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, in some cases patches in most cases security updates. If all you have is the service pack, I'm not sure what to suggest. I have read at other forums where people don't have good success with media player 9 and have reverted back to older versions, although I've used it on Win98se, Win2K and XP without a problem.

As a side note I don't think the original problem was related to Media Player, but, if I recall correctly gaming.
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok lets do it this way what update should i get for windows 98 that woun't give me the flickering problem and which one should i get for windows xp!! :shock:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

On both machines, run Windows updates. Install any critical update you see. If none of those take care of the problem, the problem may be related to your monitor's refresh rate. If the updates don't take care of it, let us know and we'll help you with adjusting your refresh rate. Keeping current on the critical updates is in most cases a very smart move anyway. It won't be a wasted exercise.
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm from the microsoft site which exact updates should i get because the window update take quiet some time with 56k. It would be much appretiaited!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please reread my last post and read this one carefully, because I won't respond again until you do. I understand the downsides of modems, because when I was on modem it was 33.6 and I used to wait almost 3 hours for a Netscape Browser update download. I gave you your answer, in my last post. If you didn't read it...read it again. I didn't specify which ones, because I said ALL of them. However, my belief is that your problem is not the Windows updates. I think that it's in the refresh rate on your monitor, but until you take the time to follow simple instrctions and get your systems up-to-date, I have no intention of taking the time to tell you how to change the refresh rate on your monitors.

Bottom line:
Reading is Fundamental.

Sorry if all that sounds a bit abrupt, but you're wearing my patience thin on this and I am trying to help.
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, but if i run windows update wouldn't microsoft no what things i have on my computer. And thats what i asked the specific one. But if microsoft can't tell what i have on my computer then i am glad to do the window update
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what Microsoft has to say about it. It's perfectly safe to run the updates (I assume you had to do it in the past anyway since you do have the service pack). You decide from there:

Quote:
Windows Update Privacy Statement (Last Updated 10/17/2003)
Windows Update is committed to protecting your privacy. To provide you with the appropriate list of updates, Windows Update must collect a certain amount of configuration information from your computer. None of this configuration information can be used to identify you. This information includes:

Operating-system version number
Internet Explorer version number
Version numbers of other software for which Windows Update provides updates
Plug and Play ID numbers of hardware devices
Region and Language setting
The configuration information collected is used only to determine the appropriate updates and to generate aggregate statistics. Windows Update does not collect your name, address, e-mail address, or any other form of personally identifiable information.

Windows Update also collects the Product ID and Product Key to confirm that you are running a validly licensed copy of Windows. A validly licensed copy of Windows ensures that you will receive on-going updates from Windows Update. The Product ID and Product Key are not retained beyond the end of the Windows Update session, unless the Product ID is not valid.

To provide you with the best possible service, Windows Update also tracks and records how many unique machines visit its site and whether the download and installation of specific updates succeeded or failed. In order to do this, the Windows operating system generates a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) that is stored on your computer to uniquely identify it. The GUID does not contain any personally identifiable information and cannot be used to identify you. Windows Update records the GUID of the computer that attempted the download, the ID of the item that you attempted to download and install, and the configuration information listed above.
  • serpant
  • serpant

Post 3+ Months Ago

k thanks for your help i will tell you if it worked.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts