Missing User names when Xp boots up

• bbwilson8
  • Born
  • Born
  • bbwilson8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my dilema when Xp Home edition gets to the screen where you're suppose to select a user, there are none to select from the list on the right side. Ctrl Alt del does nothing Safe mode does nothing. Without being able to select a user I can't get past this logon screen. Has anyone else encounter this problem before.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard hitting ctrl-alt-del twice in a row will bring up the classic login screen. I can't verify this because I don't have XP Home but worth a try.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work in XP home and you can only login to the Administrator Account in Safe Mode. If you are not the administrator account you'll need to get whomever is to do it.

Also see if there is a possibility someone installed this program to hide user accounts
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/200 ... me-screen/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only other option that I can think of is to boot to the install CD and do a repair install of Windows. (repair not reinstall). This should restore most default settings.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is a way to hide all the accounts in the registry, i usually does that when i wanna hide the support account "after i make it mine" from people lol. however, if you don;t have access to the computer then you can't change the registry.

what i would do "take a lot of time" is to create a bootable cd with PEBuilder and get ones of those plugins to create accounts in xp, likewise, there is a plugins you might wanna use with pebuilder that let's you change settings in the registry for the physical computer. if you could at leeast get a command shell, you could restore your computer to a couple of days ago from the command prompt.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummmmm......you can do that with the XP installation CD too.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you skip the login screen with the xp installation cd, to create accounts and edit the registry for the physical computer without having any account nor password for them?. i didn;t know that lol guess learned something new today
  • puner
  • Born
  • Born
  • puner

Post 3+ Months Ago

^ How would I do that? Because Im having the same problem.
  • puner
  • Born
  • Born
  • puner

Post 3+ Months Ago

please help!
  • puner
  • Born
  • Born
  • puner

Post 3+ Months Ago

tried using ultimate boot disk to change passwords but it doesnt work
  • geekdw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a few boot disks out there that will let you remove passwords from accounts, but I'm not aware of any that will let you just skip the login screen.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would google for a pebuilder bootable cd already made so that you don;t have to do it. or just follow what ATNO said, although i don;t think if the cp recovery disk can give you access to the registry and create user accounts without having skiping the logon screen, but hey thats me

that is the only idea i can think of
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sighs. I give up. Skip the extra boot disk, third party applications. Use your install CD. Boot to it, run a restore and you'll be fine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts