MP3s can be used to hack into computers

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP and WinAmp can open computers to attack by allowing music or other media files to control your PC, says security firm Foundstone.

Taking advantage of flaws in the software, hackers can import malicious MP3 or Windows Media files – which would look and sound no different from regular, unmodified media files – into a computer.

If Windows Explorer is used to open the file, the operating system can be forced to perform tasks not authorised by the user. Apparently, even hovering the pointer over the file can run the file’s hidden payload. The problem does not arise if Windows Media Player is used to process the file.

WinAmp has a similar bug that produces the same effect if the MP3 or WMA files are overloaded with data.

Music and motion picture industry giants are currently hoping to use such hacking tactics as a secret weapon in their battle with file-sharing and so-called digital piracy. Indeed, a bill was introduced in July in the US House of Representatives that would allow such companies and other copyright holders limited rights to use hacking to defeat peer-to-peer file-sharing networks.

Source: http://www.EuropeMedia.net
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow that sounds dangerous, and I can see those big music companies really like that news. I am sure they would hire a staff just to do that to make people afraid to download mp3's
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gadget Guru wrote:
a bill was introduced in July in the US House of Representatives that would allow such companies and other copyright holders limited rights to use hacking to defeat peer-to-peer file-sharing networks.

thats the part that scares me! now congress (our own government) is allowing hacking as an Electronic Counter Measure (ECM) to piracy!! what kind of example does that set out to the rest of the world about combatting hacking.??? :fadein:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gadget Guru wrote:
thats the part that scares me! now congress (our own government) is allowing hacking as an Electronic Counter Measure (ECM) to piracy!! what kind of example does that set out to the rest of the world about combatting hacking.??? :fadein:

I agree haha, that sounds a little frightening that Congress would allow such a defensive tactic. I could easily see companies abusing that power unless they made some extremely specific points on exactly what they are allowed to do. Just all sounds crazy to me though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts