Mp3s Will not play, nor can I record, Missing lame_enc.dll

• Hashukim
  • Hashukim
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

HELLO everyone, I am new. I can usually figure out problems on my own but this one is pretty annoying an enigma.

I lost my ability to record anything with my mike using Adobe Audition as well as play mp3s. Wavs still work, I hear it when windows begins and ends.

I was given a message once that I was missing the lame_enc.dll file.

I do not know what that is. Audition was working a couple days ago and I always play music on my PC. This is new. I did uninstall some player, I forget the name, it was something I don't remember installing myself.

My computer is clean; I have over 600mb of memory, plenty of free space a P4 1.5GHz. The PC is tip top running on XP pro.

This is my only problem besides the mysterious taskbar freezing at start up. But from reading other threads I doubt they are related and it seems as though it fixes itself.

Please help, Chris
:(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would do a google search for lame_enc.dll, read up on it, and then download/reinstall. I dont know exactly what the lame_enc.dll file is, but I'm sure SOMEONE out there does, in the beautiful Google.
Good luck
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a strange problem. I have adobe addition and it certainly doesn't depend on the Lame Encoder for mp3s. Lame is a popular open source mp3 encoder . A lot of third party mp3 software use the lame_enc.dll. I suspect the program you uninstalled was dependant on this dll. I guess the uninstall wasn't 100% clean. Windows may still be associating mp3 files with this program.

In any Explorer window, select Tools | Folder Options | File Types. Scroll down to the mp3 extension, select Change, then choose the player of your choice for opening/playing mp3 files.

If that doesn't fix your mp3 problem, then under File Types, select the mp3 extension, then click Delete. Click Close. Now, on any mp3 file icon, right click, select open. You will be prompted with a open with... window. Choose your player of choice. Make sure Always use the selected program to open this kind of file is checked.

I'm not sure about your mic issue. If it still doesn't work after fixing your mp3 problem (I doubt it will but I've seen stranger things) then you might need to reinstall Audition. Also, you might check the mic properties under recording properies. You can get to it either from the Windows Volume Control by selecting Options | Properties | Recording. Click OK and make sure the Microphone is Selected. Alternately, you can open the Windows Recording Mixer from within Adobe Audion, in the Options menu.

Hope you get it working.
Cheers,
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

assuming this is a legitimate problem for you, it belongs in the windows forum. :D
  • Hashukim
  • Hashukim

Post 3+ Months Ago

:idea:
I installed winamp and it fixed it. It worked on someone els's PC as well a few months ago.

Now, my start bar still freezes when I reboot, what the capital H E double hockey sticks is that all about?

It started when i tried to install my wireless router. I couldnt not finish because I am not the admin, I must wait until I am (the guy who was moved) and I need to do all kinds of crap with my ISP to finish that task..any how, sound problem is solved.

thanks guys!! any hints on start menu and startup cleanup??

H
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly happens to your taskbar on startup? Are you talking about the Start Menu? How long does it freeze?

Are you running any anti-virus software? Have you checked your system for spyware recently? If there are a lot of programs set to run at startup, that can definitely cause problems.

If you haven't checked your system for spyware, I suggest using ad-aware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ This is the link for the free version. If you decide to install it, select update upon your first run so you get the latest definitions. I think this would be a good start.

Good luck.
  • MissJesse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: East Coast, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

along with adaware (good suggestion btw, always my first course of action) you may want to try this
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10280 ... ag=lst-0-1

depending on what your problem is, it may help, it may not. but it's definitely a nice little application to be running anyways.

cheers
  • Hashukim
  • Hashukim

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer is clean, nothing strange opening. I run msn messenger, itunes helper and zone alarm

I have adaware, I make sure everyone gets it as well, I run it at least once a week with new updates.

I have xp pro
640mbs Ram
1.5 GHz
plenty of memory

startup is spotless and I hate superfluous programs so nothing weird runs besides what I am using.
I do not hae Anti-Virus protection yet, I cannot afford it. I am safe (learned the hard way several times) My computer has no inercourse with strange disks (not even with a condom) and I stay away from bad sites.

any how...what the heck?
  • Hashukim
  • Hashukim

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW
the problem is my task bar freezes as well as start menu, for about 10 minutes

I can interact with the desktop but it will not open anything until it unfreezes. It works fine in safe mode :?:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grrr, I hate problems like that. At the moment, I can't think of anything. Hopefully someone else may have a solution. In the meantime, I'll definitely try to think of something.

Do you recall when this started happening? Perhaps after a new program installation? Wish I had something to offer in the way of a fix.

As far as Virus protection, let me recommend Grisoft's AVG Free edition. It works great. They update their definitions on a daily basis (generally). Best of all, it's not a resource hog. It's simple to use and update.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Edit: Are you using Window's classic Theme or the new XP style? If using the new style, try switching to classic and rebooting. See if the start menu\Taskbar still freezes.
  • MissJesse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: East Coast, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

there's always this too, if you ever suspect you do have a virus....it's a good little tool. i'd run it just in case especially if you're not running any virus protection software.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Norton, but it costs. don't know if you want to shell out the money. The whole thig with the freezing really does sound like a virus......... I dont have any other ideas to what it could be. Good luck. Sorry I couldnt be more help. ;)
  • Hashukim
  • Hashukim

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your help everyone
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any luck?
  • bobcat
  • Born
  • Born
  • bobcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello I know this thread has been inactive for awhile but I found a solution for the task bar lockup problem
it is detailed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841571

hope someone checks this------it works

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts