mpbtn and ymsgr

• azubah 7
  • Born
  • Born
  • azubah 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. This is my first post. Thanks for reading it.

I have windows XP.

What do 'mpbtn.exe:2508' , and 'ymsgr_tray.exe:2256' mean?

Are they something I need or something I don't want?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

ymsgr_tray.exe:2256 is the Yahoo messenger icon in the bottom right of your screen. I imaging it connects on port 2256.

mpbtn.exe is a process by Comcast Cable which allows a user to submit files to the Internet for support. I suppose it uses port 2508.

As a side note, those are destination ports & not source ports. I can explain that in more detail if you want.
  • azubah 7
  • Born
  • Born
  • azubah 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your reply Don2007. I would appreciate a more detailed explanation, please.
I found the two items using windows defender and found them to be digitally unsigned and so wondered what they were and if they should be doing what they are doing.
I also found two other digitally unsigned programs that start up when the computer starts up. I used defender to stop them and have not yet found anything that does not work. I am not sure whether I have done the right thing or not.
The general advice seems to be that anything not digitally signed is suspect so it is all a little confusing.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don's telling you that the first two processes belong to Yahoo Messenger and part of your Comcast Service. You could disable them, sure, if you don't want/need either to work.

As a general rule, googling the .exe name ('mpbtn.exe', for example) will give you an exact idea of what you're looking at and typically with some reading, the threats (if any) associated with it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both of you are correct in different ways. I had already known about ymsgr_tray.exe It can be deleted & Yahoo messenger will still run. The idea that if it's not digitally signed makes it suspect is true but what was strange to me was the fact that it had a port number after it. Yahoo messenger needs the port number but the tray icon certainly doesn't. Maybe that's just the way it's done these days. I don't use Yahoo or Comcast, so I can't really tell you much more than that.

Before I use Google to determine what a particular process does, I first search it on processlibrary.com or programchecker.com

Both are excellent sites for searching processes. I always use them in conjunction with Hijack This logs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts