msimn.exe plus parameters. Is possible?

• cvera
  • cvera

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to invoke msimn.exe from command line and pass some parameters like to bcc subject and body text.

I know I can do it with mailto: but I need to invoke the executable and the parameters. Something like (in command line) msimn.exe to:xx@yy.com what the right command will be?

Thank you

Cv
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

msimn.exe /mailurl:email@address will start a new email with the given addres. I'm not sure if there are options for filling in the other data.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Further investigation revealed that you can type this from the command line:

Code: [ Select ]
"mailto:email@adress?subject=subject&cc=email@adress&bcc=email@address&body=body text"

This should work If Outlook Express is your default email program. the quotes are necessary.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

To complement Jim's reply here is an article from Microsoft:

OLEXP: How to Send Outlook Express Mail from a Command Line
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Labrego. I just discovered from that article that you can't use the command prompt to enter that command. You can use it in a shortcut or open dialog box when you click Start, and then click Run. I was using 4NT command processor and it worked from there but it doesn't work from cmd.exe which is the NT command processor. I often forget I'm in 4nt and there are differences between that and the default command processor.

If you wanted to do it from cmd.exe, a work around would be to create a shortcut with the appropriate command and then execute that from the command line.

mail.url entered from the command prompt did work where mail.url is the actual shortcut containing the "mailto:" command.
  • cvera
  • cvera

Post 3+ Months Ago

mailto in cmd works fine with several options. BUT As I told in my first message, I do not want to use mailto sintaxis because I have a program from which I must execute msimn.exe and then the arguments... I try your first suggestion with msimn.exe mailurl and it open a new email but as you told you do not have PRE addressed it...

I need a command line without using mailto because this is ONLY is Outlook is for default you predefined email client and it is not always that way..

Hope some other ideas come..

Cvera
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

cvera wrote:
I do not want to use mailto sintaxis because I have a program from which I must execute msimn.exe and then the arguments...

What programming language are you using for this?
  • cvera
  • cvera

Post 3+ Months Ago

I working with JaWE and Shark fron Enhydra that use Java and JavaScript. From that I need to invoke outlook to send an email...
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there's another ways to send mail using Java, why do you want to use outlook for it?
  • cvera
  • cvera

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not? When you have a technical problem or technical challenge you have to solve it. Let's say I MUST use Outlook. It has to be possible. Easy way: Use some work around. I wanna be able to do the way I want UNLESS it is impossible technically....
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not? well, outlook express does not support automation like office outlook, this mean that outlook express does not expose a useful object hierarchy to programmatically control it. Again, this mean that the only way to use outlook express is directly.

BTW: There's no work around
  • cvera
  • cvera

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I understand a reason and try to use outlook office AND\OR another clint or solution...

Thnk you

Carlos
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did look for a way to use msimn.exe like you wanted but there aren't any command line switches other than /mailurl: and that will only accept the send to address.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts