**NEED HELP ASAP!**

• blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting ready to go out of town, but I need this out of the way first. I can't get rid of it, whenever I try deleting it, some message comes up saying it cannot be deleted because it says "Cannot not delete" Then it goes on about disk space, etc. I tried to see if it was in the add/remove thing it wasn't I need this gone.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

gonna need just a tad bit more info than that
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it is a virus that you can't delete, then you will have to reboot into safe mode and delete that way. More than likely it is getting loaded into memory when you start your computer. When you reboot into safe mode windows just loads the bare minimum drivers to run and nothing else. That way you can delete something that you can't delete when the system is running regularly. To get into safe mode just press F8 after the post and before the windows start screen. Enjoy :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was sure that was it, but i still wanted more details on the problem
for future reference here on ozzu ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since it's up for guesses what blackhat is refering to, I'm guessing it's a long name file/directory that can't be deleted. But it would be pointless to offer advice, since I have no clue what he's trying to delete, really.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

exactly... :P
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are you trying to delete. is it a system file? what is it? :?:
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

It says its in the directory of the System...what this might mean I have no idea. All I know is that it was downloaded without my consent, and I can't get it off.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

blackhat, What can't you delete? You have given us nothing to go on to help you and if you can't give us more specific details about what's going on in your next post, I'm going to lock this thread, because at the moment it's pointless. You have several people willing to help, but it's not going to happen unless you give us some solid details about your problem.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
If it is a virus that you can't delete, then you will have to reboot into safe mode and delete that way. More than likely it is getting loaded into memory when you start your computer. When you reboot into safe mode windows just loads the bare minimum drivers to run and nothing else. That way you can delete something that you can't delete when the system is running regularly. To get into safe mode just press F8 after the post and before the windows start screen. Enjoy :D

even though it's probably not a virus, this help is your best route. Follow
what MD suggests, and you should be fine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX....I have to disagree. I'm betting based on his posts so far that it's a long file name with adult content that can't be deleted and he's not willing to say so. I've seen this happen too many times.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

it just happened to me the other day, and it was not aduly related, nor
was it a long filename. all i did was boot into safe mode and delete the
file.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Understand your thought UNFLUX...and you very well could be right. Since you are close enough to me, I'll bet ya your favorite brew I'm right and your wrong and will drive it to ya (sometime soon), since blackhat seems unwilling to give us specifics...so I'm just going to have some fun with it unless you or BWM want to nix this post before it gets too crazy.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah, it's all in fun. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that as you do...but it would be helpful if blackhat provided some details.

So I'll repeat my last request to blackhat. If you don't provide some details on your next post as to what exactly your problem is, then either UNFLUX or I are going to lock this thread and have done with it.

Without details, no one can help you.
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the problem. I'm not sure how to provide any helpful details. It's a program that won't work when I try using it, but when I try removing it entirely from my computer it says it's running. I'm thinking it's spyware or something of the sort, but my Norton nor Adware is picking anything up with it...? If this isn't enough... ermm... sorry.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

if its really THAT much of a problem and u are willing to take the chance reformat. But it thats a prob then try tech support. i can't help. sry :cry:
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...I'll see what I can do.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally, Blackhat - Thanks. That does give enough detail to get us started in the right direction. You may want to review UNFLUX's first reply here, because that is probably your best alternative. The program is running in the background because it set itself to run at startup. It shouldn't run in safe-mode. Another way -- It can be stopped via your task manager (assuming you know what the executable file is that is running it). If you don't know what that file is, if you are able to tell us the name of the program we can get this resolved for you quicker. In fact that information plus what you have just told us could have helped you resolve this last week when you wanted it resolved.

If it's spyware, there are multiple ways to remove those kinds of programs and some are more difficult than others, and often-times your virus protection won't detect or get rid of them.

There are quite a few people here experienced with getting rid of spyware and viruses and other unwanted stuff. I wasn't trying to be hard on you, but if you look at the text in my signature, I put that there for a reason. "Ask a better question, get a better answer."

Added note: don't just delete the program files. If it can be removed from add-remove programs, then do it there. If not we need to know what it is to help guide you to find a removal tool.
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wasn't adult content. Just some sorta of error...I went into safety mode and got rid of it. Sorry I couldn't give solid details. I really did not know how to give any other details because I was still trying to figure them out. :oops:

Thanks for all the help.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good - glad you got it!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts